cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route from VA to Maine

Stevebx
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to avoid DC and NYC on 95. I see several options and would like to hear from those of you that have done this trip and have insight. Also, which days of the week might be best for this. Many thanks.
Steven Brewer
6 REPLIES 6

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stevebx wrote:
Thanks guys, that adds one more good tip to what I found on some other advice threads. Once I'm in MA, I'm good, do the New York State to Maine all summer. It was getting around DC and NYC that I haven't done from coming up from the south. Great advice.
You couldn't beat me enough to make me go through DC or NYC for any reason. :R
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Stevebx
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, that adds one more good tip to what I found on some other advice threads. Once I'm in MA, I'm good, do the New York State to Maine all summer. It was getting around DC and NYC that I haven't done from coming up from the south. Great advice.
Steven Brewer

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Not sure where in VA you're coming from, but 81 to Scranton, then 380 to 84 which runs diagonally from there to Boston. Then scoot around beantown and pick up 95 north of Boston on into ME. Will have a couple tolls along the way (NH) and then ME's. This is my $.01 worth.

x2. It's a little longer but well worth the detour.
X-3, that's the way we went.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once you get on I84 take it to the Mass Pike I90 east to I495 North to I95 North, this is at the Ma/NH state line. Then I95 North to Maine, about 10 miles. The toll roads are I90 in Ma, I95 in NH and Maine. I84 through Hartford can be difficult but if you can hit it between 10am and 2pm it shouldn't be to bad. Saturday and of course Sunday are the best days just get out early, but the weekdays aren't usually to bad unless the DOT decides to shut down a lane or two...
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Not sure where in VA you're coming from, but 81 to Scranton, then 380 to 84 which runs diagonally from there to Boston. Then scoot around beantown and pick up 95 north of Boston on into ME. Will have a couple tolls along the way (NH) and then ME's. This is my $.01 worth.

x2. It's a little longer but well worth the detour.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"