cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Horn County

A_hitch_and_hop
Explorer
Explorer
We were traveling on I-90 from Billings to the Little Big Horn National Memorial and stopped at Hardin, Mt for the night. I picked up a brochure on the Big Horn County Historical Museum. We decided to check it out. This located in Hardin, Montana and is about 35 years old. In this time period they have moved 26 various historical buildings to a 35 acre complex. These buildings and a train station have been filled with many antiques which have been donated by local families. There is also a large barn filled with vintage working fire trucks and other restored tractors, automobiles, farm equipment and various farm implements. The railroad station looks like the station master has just stepped away from the counter for a break. All the station equipment is there and looks they work. The farm house and barn were built on the site in 1906 and has most of the original type furniture. They even brought in a slaughter house and meat market. All the buildings are arranged as a small town and connected by a boardwalk. They were adding a new building when we were there. This was definitely a surprise find. If you are passing this way, I recommend you also check it out.
10 REPLIES 10

redwingfans
Explorer
Explorer
This past September we toured the Little Big Horn Battlefield site in Montana and were very moved by the experience. The Indian death sites are now marked by Bronze Headstones. On Thanksgiving we thought of the Little Big Horn Battlefield field and all the other lands that were the Indian home lands, thinking how shallow "Thanksgiving" is.
Mark and Linda
2013 Pleasure Way Excel

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Each person will take away his or her own thoughts when visiting various sites. These are mine after my first visit to the Little Bighorn Battlefield.

GM

The Little Big Horn

Two weeks ago, I toured the Little Big Horn Battlefield site in Montana.  As a Native American, I approached that visit with some trepidation, knowing full well the history of the place.  I first toured the museum, seeing artifacts and memorabilia from an era of the past.  Weapons and bits of weapons, uniforms, pictures, a saddle, bridle - an interesting look into the life of a cavalryman on the American frontier  of the late 1800s.  Not much there about the Indian, which is not surprising since the Sioux, the Cheyenne and the Arapaho removed their dead and the accouterments of war from the battlefield.

On the far wall of the museum is a huge oil painting depicting what the battlefield may have looked like after the last cavalryman lay dead - a scene of  plains Indians enjoying the spoils of war.  Not necessarily a pretty site, but perhaps a factual representation.

From the museum, I walked through the rolling hills of the actual battle ground.  In every direction, there were solitary white grave markers - most of them stating only "A US Cavalryman died here on June 25, 1876."  I was surprised at the number of civilians among the dead.

There were no grave markers for the Indians who died here, which is understandable since the Indians removed their dead.

There is a monument on top of what is called "Last Stand Hill."  The enlisted soldiers who died at the Little Big Horn are buried in a mass grave under this large granite reminder.  The officers are buried in various cemeteries nationwide.  George Armstrong Custer is buried at West Point.

Just down the hill from this monument is another reminder, this one to the Native Americans who died at the battle on the Greasy Grass River.  This monument, only dedicated last week on the anniversary of the battle, gives tribute to some 100 Indians who fought and died that day.  Sioux, Cheyenne, Arapaho, Arikara, even the Crow who were scouts for the army are listed.  This monument looks upward toward the other monument, a silent tribute from one fallen warrior to another. 

As I walked these hills, I could close my eyes and hear the sound of gunfire, hear the cries of the dead and dying, smell gunpowder, smell the sweat and fear of the participants.  Brave men died here, over 200 members of the US Cavalry and about 100 Plains Indians.  Both soldiers and Indians died for a cause they believed in. As the last sounds of battle ended, the blood of red man and white man intermingled and soaked into the thirsty ground.  No one could tell which was red man's blood and which was white man's blood.

I came away with a sense of awe and humility.  As I left, I rendered a silent salute to all who died this day one hundred and twenty seven years ago. 

On this Fourth of July, I will render another salute - a salute to warriors everywhere who had a part in making this nation what it is today.

Written on July 4, 2003
Lonnie Henderson
(Grey Mountain)
2003?
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
How was the 7th Ranch RV Park ? We are currently planning a trip thru to Port Huron from Spokane WA .. and liked the looks of 7th Ranch RV Park as closeness to Little Big Horn and was wondering.

We will be traveling on a minimum stops trip to Ontario Canada to visit relatives, so was wondering about the stop.
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Im going to be at 7th Ranch RV Park next Sunday for a few days. Always looking for something to see.
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Although I don't agree that the battlefield is boring (we did not find it so), sounds like the museum is an additional gem. Will have to consider this for future reference!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

LavinFamily
Explorer
Explorer
Currently staying at 7th Ranch RV park and that museum is one that they recommended. Only here for 2 nights and not sure we will make it back for that one.

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting. Thanks for this info!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I completely missed it. I did an overnight at the Hardin KOA, drove over to the battlefield (a snooze) and skipped the museum (which sounds like it wasn't a snooze).
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Been there. Definitely worth a stop.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Love those unexpected gems! Thanks for the tip.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375