cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boondocking in Mexico

jbnewfreedom
Explorer
Explorer
This is a request for USEFUL tips on appropriate places to dry camp on our way down from Laredo to Yucatan. I would appreciate if those who would not be caught dead (pun intended) RV'ing in Mexico would refrain from commenting on this thread. I know how you feel about Mexico and I'm not interested in hearing about it. Thanks.

For those of you who have boondocked, please feel free to elaborate on your thoughts. This is not so much a sight-seeing trip, although we will stop if a place seems interesting. We are relocating with our two dogs and cat and will pretty much be focused on getting there fairly quickly. We would be willing to pull into a motel parking lot and even pay for a room, if that is the best place to park. We are not interested in camping grounds on this trip. That will be for later excursions.

Our route: Laredo to Saltillo to San Luis Potosi to Puebla to Yucatan
We want to be on good toll roads as much as possible to make the best time. Have ordered maps from Mexico Mike, which look pretty easy to follow. Thanks for any help and advice. John
22 REPLIES 22

jbnewfreedom
Explorer
Explorer
keelhauler1 wrote:
calculate your speed at 55 Mph this gives you some wiggle room, some streches will go faster some slower.

Unless you are on a good cuota that is too fast an estimate.

30 mph is a better figure, this include gas and food stops.

That sounds about right, for all the stops we will need to make to keep the dogs from going bonkers (and us too)

Thanks

jbnewfreedom
Explorer
Explorer
Linda from Canada wrote:
The cuota from Laredo to San Luis Potosi will be just fine. From Puebla to Yucatan can be not so smooth- especially around Villahermosa. This area seems to get really chewed up during the rainy season. You would be fine to boondock at Pemex stations and Walmarts...have done so often.

I have read similar reports of the poor roads around Villahermosa. I think we will check out Pemex and/or Walmart sites. It looks like there are quite a few options that will work for us. We will need to find a good space to walk our dogs for a little exercise.

Thanks.

Linda_from_Cana
Explorer
Explorer
The cuota from Laredo to San Luis Potosi will be just fine. From Puebla to Yucatan can be not so smooth- especially around Villahermosa. This area seems to get really chewed up during the rainy season. You would be fine to boondock at Pemex stations and Walmarts...have done so often.

keelhauler1
Explorer
Explorer
calculate your speed at 55 Mph this gives you some wiggle room, some streches will go faster some slower.

Unless you are on a good cuota that is too fast an estimate.

30 mph is a better figure, this include gas and food stops.
John

All my Mexico Trips
-------------------------------------------

jbnewfreedom
Explorer
Explorer
@qtla9111 - Thanks for the suggestions.

jbnewfreedom
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
Get on the internet and look up motels and hotels in the various towns that you might be stopping for the night get addresses and phone numbers.

Then go to google maps and locate the street and the motel or hotel on the satelite map, look at the parking lot and entrance and or exit of the lot then click on the little figure and see if you can locate the entrance to the motel.

Some motels and hotels in Mexico have arches or actual gates with low clearance that won't allow RV's to pass under, should that be the case go to the next motel and look see, this way you have a mental picture of what you are looking for, maybe you can print the map and entrance and make a small folder for travell reference.

Thanks. Good idea. I would not have known about the gates/arches.

When you have settled on where you are planning to stop give the hotel or motel a call, hope you speak some spanish, then you can make a reservation for a room for the night, calculate your speed at 55 Mph this gives you some wiggle room, some streches will go faster some slower.

Maximum speed on the highways is 110 Kmph (Kilometers per hour) that is 68.2 Mph. Calculating at 55 gives you a rough estimate, do not drive at night, a little after sun set OK. Earlly in the morning before sun rise is OK to, from about 7:30PM to about 5:30AM is not recomended.

Hoppe it helps a little

navegator

Thanks. Good idea. I would not have known about the gates/arches.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
First good place is at our house in Santiago, NL (pueblo magico, 20kms south of Monterrey) 🙂

Los Lirios, Coahuila (just south of the 57 turn off from Ramos Arizpe before Saltillo)

Guadalcázar, San Luis Potosi (pueblo magico)
Park in the first town square at the church. Walk to the next plaza and let the police know you're there. They always say okay.

Parador Turístico San Pedro (Carr Saltillo - Matehuala)
Giant rest stop with excellent food, gas station, restrooms, and a huge parking area. Many rvers overnight there. I have pics but can't find them now.

These are just a couple of places we have stayed.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Get on the internet and look up motels and hotels in the various towns that you might be stopping for the night get addresses and phone numbers.

Then go to google maps and locate the street and the motel or hotel on the satelite map, look at the parking lot and entrance and or exit of the lot then click on the little figure and see if you can locate the entrance to the motel.

Some motels and hotels in Mexico have arches or actual gates with low clearance that won't allow RV's to pass under, should that be the case go to the next motel and look see, this way you have a mental picture of what you are looking for, maybe you can print the map and entrance and make a small folder for travell reference.

When you have settled on where you are planning to stop give the hotel or motel a call, hope you speak some spanish, then you can make a reservation for a room for the night, calculate your speed at 55 Mph this gives you some wiggle room, some streches will go faster some slower.

Maximum speed on the highways is 110 Kmph (Kilometers per hour) that is 68.2 Mph. Calculating at 55 gives you a rough estimate, do not drive at night, a little after sun set OK. Earlly in the morning before sun rise is OK to, from about 7:30PM to about 5:30AM is not recomended.

Hoppe it helps a little

navegator