cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bozeman Mt to Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone

outnabout
Explorer
Explorer
What's a good road from Bozeman, Mt to central Yellowstone NP? Looking at 89 or 191. We have a 40'5er.
Craig & Arline
Montana 5er 3402 RL
2006 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
"On the Road Again..."
7 REPLIES 7

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just add that entering YNP through any of the entrances is better if you go early. Visitors just arriving usually start from some other campground maybe 100 miles away and get to the gates around noon, and then have to buy their National Parks pass. Always better to pass through the entry gates early in the day.
On edit: If you're older than dirt (like me) you can buy a National Parks Senior Pass for $10, and its good for life at any National Park.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want space for your rig, Grizzly RV is the place. There are a few sites with no hookups inside the park where you'll fit (Bridge Bay CG comes to mind) but the only CG inside the park with any hookups whatsoever is Fishing Bridge. Agree with Jim Shoe that it's tight in there. I've seen bigger rigs in there, but have no idea how they got into their sites. We had a devil of a time backing our 27-foot TT into ours.

Grizzly RV is close to the west entrance, not even 1/2 mile I think, and the drive along the Madison River from the west entrance to the Grand Loop Road is plenty scenic, lots of wildlife viewing opportunities (especially in the evening). It can get backed up at that gate, but that's life in/around YNP.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

outnabout
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
You might want to rethink Fishing Bridge. Its an old park when RVs were smaller. Its in the south east corner of the park. You'll have to park your vehicles side by side. Here's a link.

Jim, where would you suggest for our rig?
Craig & Arline
Montana 5er 3402 RL
2006 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
"On the Road Again..."

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to rethink Fishing Bridge. Its an old park when RVs were smaller. Its in the south east corner of the park. You'll have to park your vehicles side by side. Here's a link.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I usually take 191 south and enter through the West gate. Good road, and there are a couple of competing grocery stores in West Yellowstone, as well as the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center. As close as you'll ever want to be to either animal. I stay at Grizzly RV Park outside the West Entrance. Full hookups and free coffee every morning.
One time, I headed back north on 89. The scenery was better but the road is narrower. I wasn't in a hurry. Worth seeing, though. Lots of Moose and Elk roaming the streets among the abandoned Army Barracks at the north entrance/exit.

mark1228
Explorer
Explorer
If there is no road construction to worry about, either way is nice. I would take 191 if it was me, it is very scenic.

kregli
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the construction on 89. Last summer it would have been ugly to take a big 5er thru there (several miles of ripped up road). I don't expect they will finish for a while. I haven't taken 191 for a while, but it is a nice drive. A few sections of fairly sharp curves, but you just have to be careful.
Keith
2015 Grand Design Momentum 388m
2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW