cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bypass around Tepic

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
We heard a report first hand today about a Newly Opened By Pass around the East Side of Tepic!

Also there are some other New Roads in the Area including an Autopista from Tepic to San Blas and another to Puerto Vallarta! These are all branches that head off from Mexico 15D!

If Only We could get to Tomatlan and Melaque on a decent road and avoid PV completely!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD
18 REPLIES 18

iguana07
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not heard about any new by pass east of Tepic but the autopista north of Tepic to San Blas is under construction hopefully complete by next season.
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I should have continued typing!

What I needed to add was it would be nice to avoid P.V. and Guadalajara en route to Melaque/Bara de Navidad.

The existing Routes through those Cities are not for the faint of heart!

I'm sure that in the coming Years there will be a decent Autopista to connect through to the new developments near the Old Tamarindo Resort.
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
daveB110 wrote:
This is likely not news to you, but in years past we have driven south via Villa Corona (and Chimulco RV) to wait for coastal areas to cool off a bit in November, then drive through Colima, Manzanillo through to Melaque. In spring, with the coast heating up again, we would take Hwy 80 up towards Guadalajara and again camp near Villa Corona for awhile, then travel towards Tepic on our way north. No PV except by toad, then back to the Costa Alegre. What new roads there are, I don't know, except for a route off hwy 80 that gets you beyond San Sebastien and into Puerto Vallarta, very steep and prone to slides in wet weather. We would not drive down to the coast on Hwy 80, because of its long, narrow, steep downhill sections. But with a different more suitable vehicle that would be a shorter routeto Melaque than via Colima.

My brakes were smoking on that stretch this season. I would go up it, but not down it.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
This is likely not news to you, but in years past we have driven south via Villa Corona (and Chimulco RV) to wait for coastal areas to cool off a bit in November, then drive through Colima, Manzanillo through to Melaque. In spring, with the coast heating up again, we would take Hwy 80 up towards Guadalajara and again camp near Villa Corona for awhile, then travel towards Tepic on our way north. No PV except by toad, then back to the Costa Alegre. What new roads there are, I don't know, except for a route off hwy 80 that gets you beyond San Sebastien and into Puerto Vallarta, very steep and prone to slides in wet weather. We would not drive down to the coast on Hwy 80, because of its long, narrow, steep downhill sections. But with a different more suitable vehicle that would be a shorter routeto Melaque than via Colima.