cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell and internet in Canada

daveshoby
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased the Mobley and added the AT&T unlimited data plan for the Mobley. When we travel we are are own hotspot, will it work while crossing Canada? I'm aware of limited coverage for all cell carriers, I'm just wondering if I can use it when I have signal. The local stores have no idea since they do not work with car connect plane. Thanks, Dave
14 REPLIES 14

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
slabman wrote:
Will be travelling through Canada to Alaska. Wondering how well my Verizon signal will work along the way for both phone and internet service?

We (verizon) made that trip in 2015 going thru BC and the Yukon to Alaska. We found a lot of places with wifi, free or a small charge all over the place. My I4 apple phone wouldn't work at all in Canada and had to be reset once in Fairbanks, Alaska. However my wife old flip phone (verizon) worked great through out Canada and Alaska in the major towns. We did find a cell connection just south of Burwash Landing on the Alaskan 1. You are going to have a lot of areas with no cell service at all while traveling the road.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

slabman
Explorer
Explorer
Will be travelling through Canada to Alaska. Wondering how well my Verizon signal will work along the way for both phone and internet service?
2014 Newmar Essex 4544
2007 Lexus LX470 Toad

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:
There is free Internet all over the place north of 49. We were camping with some people from Australia the other day and they asked about Internet. I told them of three places that have free internet in the small community of only 2000 people just down the road.
They hadn't even tried to use there phones on WiFi as they just thought it would work here.
They drove to town they next day, found the free internet and sent messages home with pictures and Videos.
They were very happy to know that FREE internet ( wifi) is aound, just have to ask.
Soup.

Yessir...most cafe's offer it and libraries and all BC Liquor stores have it, Save-On Food stores. It is very commonplace in BC. I can't vouch for other provinces or Yukon.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
There is free Internet all over the place north of 49. We were camping with some people from Australia the other day and they asked about Internet. I told them of three places that have free internet in the small community of only 2000 people just down the road.
They hadn't even tried to use there phones on WiFi as they just thought it would work here.
They drove to town they next day, found the free internet and sent messages home with pictures and Videos.
They were very happy to know that FREE internet ( wifi) is aound, just have to ask.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Sue t., on FB posted this information on Plans to expand the internet access in all of Canada.
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1172599#shr-pg0
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
The larger communities/towns/cities usually have private companies providing Internet for a fee. But I never have had any problem finding a free open connection. In the smaller communities, especially as you get farther away from the US-Canada border headed north, I have yet to find anyplace that doesn't have a free connection somewhere in the village. In the village of Kitwanga, BC, the parking lot at the town office is a good internet spot. Sometimes I have to go inside the libraries or other public buildings.
As others have mentioned, many businesses offer internet service through Canada. In Alaska , many public facilities, such as hotels, schools, churches have useable service from their parking lots. I figure if the don't want me using it in the evening, then keep the signal out of my vehicle. LOL

A number of years back, Alaska put in a rural TV service known as RATNET, ( Rural Alaska TV Network). They used state owned satellites to broadcast a signal to a central dish in the village where it was re-broadcast throughout the community. Then a few years back, one of the private companies, operating in Alaska, was allowed to piggyback on the state system , to provide cell and internet service to most all small villages, no matter how remote.

They were hopeful that in Bethel Alaska that they would get 60 people to sign up for cell service the first year. In reality, they had over 600 people sign up the first month.
There was also a fiber optic cable run along side the Alaska Hwy, but I think it is privately owned and expensive to use. In places as you drive the highway, you can see this cable suspended over creeks, rivers, etc.
joe b.
Stuart Florida

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
The_real_wild1 wrote:
We get free internet?

Yes,in all libraries,McDonalds,Tim Hortons, Starbucks and large malls..
Thats in Ontario at least..

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
joe b. wrote:
Free Internet service is available in most Canadian communities. Several years back, the Canadian Federal government made sure all communities , no matter how small or remote, had Access to the Internet. In the small villages the hot spot may be the city office or library. Alaska has done much the same in recent years following the Canadian lead of providing needed services to their residents. Somewhat of a unique thought, eh?

On our last round trip to the north country, I believe, two days was the longest we went without Internet and that was because we were boondocking some nights. We tell friends and family to contact us by email if they wish. If they, especially the daughters, need to talk to us, they request a call. We buy some prepaid cards that allow us to use pay phones in Canada. Lots of pay phones up there, most don't take coins, so as long as they are working, the phone companies don't have to go to them to empty the coins.
Works well for us as we love to turn our cell phones off as we cross into Canada. The peace and quiet of no cell phone is nice.

We have AT&T service also and haven't found they have a practical plan that works for us. About a dollar a minute for a call to the lower 48 is about the best I have found. Very few of my conversations are worth that to me that I can't handle with an email for free.

In 2005, it was easier to find a free wifi connection than to find a cell phone signal in Canada and Alaska. Spent 2 weeks in North Pole, AK and every other night, drove to the public library and worked in the truck camper logged in to the free wifi.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes in SK. The downtown "core" has free wifi in Regina. Estevan also has areas that are free. I don't have personal experience with other communities.

The_real_wild1 wrote:
We get free internet?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
We get free internet?

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Free Internet service is available in most Canadian communities. Several years back, the Canadian Federal government made sure all communities , no matter how small or remote, had Access to the Internet. In the small villages the hot spot may be the city office or library. Alaska has done much the same in recent years following the Canadian lead of providing needed services to their residents. Somewhat of a unique thought, eh?

On our last round trip to the north country, I believe, two days was the longest we went without Internet and that was because we were boondocking some nights. We tell friends and family to contact us by email if they wish. If they, especially the daughters, need to talk to us, they request a call. We buy some prepaid cards that allow us to use pay phones in Canada. Lots of pay phones up there, most don't take coins, so as long as they are working, the phone companies don't have to go to them to empty the coins.
Works well for us as we love to turn our cell phones off as we cross into Canada. The peace and quiet of no cell phone is nice.

We have AT&T service also and haven't found they have a practical plan that works for us. About a dollar a minute for a call to the lower 48 is about the best I have found. Very few of my conversations are worth that to me that I can't handle with an email for free.
joe b.
Stuart Florida

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cell based data has always been extremely expensive in CA. I always turned off data on my devices when I traveled in CA for business.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Mobley doesn't work in Canada according to reports I've been sent.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Check with your carrier (AT&T) directly about roaming charges or plans for Canada.
As for coverage, it just depends on where you are, some rural areas can be very spotty and some area non existant.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.