cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chesapeake Bay bridge

kenrhilbert
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on trip to Florida this September. Usually use 113 to 13 over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Now that we have an Class A RV, I have a question regarding restrictions for the bridge tunnel. We have a 2013 Coachmen Mirada 32DS. It has an on board 80 lb propane tank. Concern it what limitations will I face using this route. Need to plan our stops on the way down, do not want to get down near the bridge and find that I need to go back up and use a different route.
4 REPLIES 4

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, just turn off the propane at the valve before the toll booth, and watch for high winds. Another item; use the far right toll booth if it's open. Last time we went through it was closed and we made it through one of the "car" lanes, but my mirrors did not have more than 1" on both sides. SLOOOOW is the word.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
All of the tunnels in the Hampton Roads areas have pull off inspection areas for RV's and other trucks carrying hazmat or bottles. For RV's all they do is have you turn off the Propane Tanks. Don't blow through these inspection stations either or they will chase you down.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Pull-off at toll booth, turn off refridge, then valve on propane tank. IMPORTANT,,,stop on the other side and turn it back on, or you will find freezer defrosted when you stop! Don't even bother to ask!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
At the toll booth you will be asked to turn off the propane.

The bridge is closed to high profile vehicles on very windy days, so watch the weather.

More info. Bay Bridge closures
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚