cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

circle tour around lake huron

mabel
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for information for a trip from Sarnia to Sault Ste. Marie.
The route seems limited, but was looking for points of interest and places to stay etc.
3 REPLIES 3

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Lots to see and do along that trip and lots of really nice Provincial parks to stay at. Once you cross at Sarnia take hwy 402 east and exit hwy 21 northbound. It’s mostly a 2 lane road but follows the lakeshore north. Several parks just outside of great little towns to visit.
Here is the link to see the available provincial parks and reservations. The summer months you will have difficulty getting in. After September you should be fine during the week, weekends fill up fast still.

Grand Bend, Bayfield, Kincardine, Goderich, Southampton, and Sauble Beach are all great little beach towns with plenty of touristy things to see. From hwy 21 you have a choice of taking the ferry from Tobermory to Manitoulin Island ( shorter but $$) or going around to the east on hwy 26 to the 400 North.

The ferry route stay in Bruce national park. No hookups but a beautiful area. Checkout singing sands beach and the grotto. If going around, Awenda is a nice park to stay and see Marie Among the Hurons and Discovery Harbour.

Hwy 400 can every busy on weekends as it leads from Toronto into cottage country. It turns into hwy 69 amd then joins hwy 17 to the Sault. Several more nice provincial parks along the way. Our favourite is Grundy and the French River. A side trip a little out of the way to Sudbury for Science North museum and the nickel mine tour is worth it.

Let me know if you want more specifics.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
When are you travelling? That affects what attractions are open.

As you come up Hwy 21 from Sarnia you will see many large windmills. Ont. does not have any coal plants. Some electricity is from the windmills. Near Bayfield there is a replic Durch windmill. North of Kincardine is Bruce Power, the largest operating Nuclear Generating plant in the world. There are tours July and Aug.

There aree a number of Lighthouse open fr tours during the summer. Point Clark , South of Kincardine is a stone Imperial tower. In the town of Kincardine the lighouse is right beside the marina. It has a marine museum and is open for tours to the top Jul and Aug. (I am biased since I'm involved with running this one.) Chantry Island light is reached by a short tour boat ride.

If you continue up the Bruce Peninsula you reach Tobermory. There are a variety of tour boat operations there including glassbottom tour boats that travel over ols shipwrecks and also tours to Flowerpot Island to see the ancient flowerpot formations.

From Tobermory you take the ferry to Manitoulin Island which is the largest fresh water island in the world. There are several small towns to explore.

To get off the island you go across an old swing bridge to get back to the mainland. It opens once an hour to let marine traffic through.

And then on to the Soo.

Any questions you can PM me.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Subscribed ... this sounds interesting!

What route are you looking at? Does it include Ontario highway 6 and the ferry?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed