cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did you dump your refrigerator and pantry before crossing?

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
My DW and I are considering taking a short 1-2 week trip to the Montreal – Quebec area in Aug/Sept this year with our new TT.  To prepare for the trip I did a some research via the web on the border crossing restrictions for crossing into Canada and for crossing back into the US.  I was really shocked to find that both countries impose very strict regulations on importing food.  Each country has their own regulations that prohibit importing eggs, meat, fruit, and milk in many forms (even my Fruit Loops are in danger – LOL).

We've vacationed in Canada before, traveling via car but without a supply of food. I would appreciate hearing from experienced member how you handle the food in their refrigerator and pantry when crossing the border (both ways) with your trailer.   Do you dump the contents of your refrigerator and pantry before crossing?  Do you have any exceptional experiences with the border guards about food in any of your crossing?

Thanks!
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40
36 REPLIES 36

Tarheel_2
Explorer
Explorer
A couple days before we crossed I read about a problem with uncooked chicken at the border, so my wife cooked all of it and refroze it. At the border I told them I had two guns with the proper paper work, 9 bottles of beer and three wine coolers too many. I was asked to come inside to pay the fee for the guns ($25). The entire process from the time we pulled up to the booth until we were on our way was 15 minutes.
Tarheel

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes - what about coming back into the states? Was it just as pleasant?

Thanks - Mike
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Complete non issue. Crossed into NB a couple of days ago. Answered a few straight forward questions. Was prepared by not having seeded fresh produce, under dutyfree limit for alchohol, no guns, was pleasant to officer & recieved pleasantness in return. No inspection of truck or trailer. Less than 5 minutes, passports stamped & we were on our way.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Fresh veggies are always iffy. Just buy them after you cross. Chicken too. Beef was on the list for a while but that was years ago. Don't take mass quantities of anything or they think it is for resale and then you need an importer permit. Generally a week of two's worth of groceries except what is mentioned above is not a problem at all. Just answer their questions politely. Don't joke, never argue.

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
Be as complete as possible when they ask what you have. A list would be best. Be aware of all the meats, animal products and fresh fruits and veggies. If you get an agent on a bad day, "forgetting" that the frozen pizza is made from goat cheese with slices of mutton on it will be on your record for years.
One year they confiscated our eggs.
David and Dayle

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I surely wouldn't 'dump' the refrigerator before crossing. If they want to take anything that's a lot cheaper than dumping everything - just in case.

Each crossing is different and the agents are always in a different frame of mind. Chances are you won't have to give up anything.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Cool50
Explorer
Explorer
I missed giving the Canada Border Services Web site that might also be of interest
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/fpa-apa/regs-eng.html

Cool50
Explorer
Explorer
Rules, both ways change often. I have found crossing into the US stricter than crossing into Canada. Give the US border office were you plan on crossing a call a few days prior and find out what is the latest and greatest.

US Border http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency regulates what can be brought into Canada http://inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990

Generally I don't take fresh fruit or veggies into the US, any meat I bring I make sure is frozen. I make sure my pet food is in up-opened bags. Coming back to Canada has never been a problem.

Hope this helps

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
No one is getting spanked or arrested over some fruit or cat food. They will make you feel like a crook, maybe search your vehicles, seize whatever and wave you on your way.

Gary Haupt

Gary, it all depends on the attitude of the border agent and if he/she had a bad night or day when you get to the border. One year we got an inspection going into the US at Port Huron MI because we went through the truck line with our RV (different crossings have different lane regs). That was the year we lost our dog food, but the senior couple in front of us were fined around $200 after their inspection for not declaring a small can of cat food. It was a bad start to their winter trip to Florida, but they were able to pay by CC!

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
THAT is probably pretty subjective and it changes often and depends to some degree on the person who is checking you in and the location of check in.

By most people's standards we eat tons of fruit/veggies and have always attempted to bring over whatever we can (from my organic garden). Meat is in the freezer. Beer is at the max.

The last time we went over through Quebec and I had freshly picked my garden and STUFFED the refrigerator full of veggies with fingers crossed. Honestly, you could not have fit another thing in there and it is 3/4 veggies. At the boarder a little issue came up when they asked if we had weapons and proceeded to name MACE. To my surprise, hubby said, "uh, yes I have a bottle for biking/nasty dogs". So that initiated paperwork and a walk inside. We got it confiscated. That must have sidetracked them enough that they didn't ask about or look for any veggies.

In we went and I enjoyed my veggies for weeks and did a very happy dance...took me hours to pick/clean all those veggies.

Yet, on the way back they took away a tomato at the USA customs of a citrus that I had brought from usa! Go figure.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest way to do the crossing...is to take nothing across. The more you have, the higher the likelihood of getting the "Border Officer Stink Eye". You are crossing for a week..maybe two? Buy as needed...a couple days worth of veggies, meat, etc each time. It just makes for a tension free crossing. On the other hand..if you try and figure out what you can take, cant take, maybe take...look how much stress. And for what?

However..should you have a full larder and they keep some of it...you will get the lecture and the huffy sounds..but then you are on your way. Sorta like the scolding from mom..you know its awful but when its over..its over. No one is getting spanked or arrested over some fruit or cat food. They will make you feel like a crook, maybe search your vehicles, seize whatever and wave you on your way.

Mind you..if you have weapons at home? and they find a shell, or holster, or gun case...then...you may be a while.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
I once got pulled over for extra inspection just for having an orange sitting beside me going from Canada to the U.S.. Was going to Florida, guess they didn't like me re-importing fruit that was labelled as being from Florida? 😞
In general I find the smaller crossing points have more reasonable questions and warnings. There are a couple south of Montreal that are 'just folks doing their job' in my experience (we cross down to New Hampshire most years).

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
Going into Canada is a breeze, Canadian guards could almost care less. Coming back into the US is a different story... Make sure you don't have any produce or fruit. Best bet is to dump it before you get to the border. Last fall we had a half a melon and cut up head of lettuce and almost didn't get back in. The border officer was treating us like a couple criminals and wanted to search the coach... That was until some woman jump out the car next to us and tried made a dash to restroom. She didn't make it either way... The officer told me get on my way and don't ever try that again (it's going on my record).

What ever you do don't lie to them, it's felony.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
When we went to Alaska in 2014, we had no issues with anything we brought with us (we are full timers). We vacuum package all our meat and vacuum packaged them in the original wrapper so the border guards could see the country of origin if we were asked. When we returned to the lower 48, crossing near Oroville, WA we did go through an agriculture inspection as we had just traveled through a Canadian fruit growing area. We had fresh veggies but no fruit and nothing was taken. We found the border guards on both sides to be friendly and professional.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
A non issue.

I crossed in/out of canada several times over the pat few years with full inspection of my custom conversion sprinter van on at least 3 crossings.

They don't even look inside the refrigerator, in my experience.

We stocked up for the whole trip at whole foods and didn't even know about the limitation.

Probably, similar to the "agricultural/produce inspection" entering Florida, it's pertaining to commercial vehicles full of food.