cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel on Cassier Highway

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
I will need diesel at least once on the Cassier before hitting the Alcan. GasBuddy's not showing much but don't know how good GB is in Canada.

Are there stations along the highwy which carry diesel?

Thanks,

Chris
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition
23 REPLIES 23

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Your still going to be looking for Cell Service. Use Google and look for the Service area map for TELUS, Bell and Rogers which are the three biggest cell providers in BC. That will give you an idea how good your cell phone with its Apps will work.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. Also disappointed with GasBuddy. For example, if I search Dease Lake, it shows 2 stations but no pricing so wasn't sure if they carry diesel. Apparently there is diesel there but wouldn't know it from GasBuddy.

I did this trip in 2005 in a diesel pickup and don't remember having any problems and have a lot more range in current rig so should be OK.

LOL, in 2005, had no cell coverage or apps to make it easy - don't know why I even think about it now.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
tony lee wrote:
GasBuddy did the job for us on the whole trip from Texas to Alaska and back down again, including Yukon and NW territories

I don;t know what year you used Gas Buddy but I find that it is becoming less and less useful no matter where I go. There are two big problems with it.

The first is that it is way too easy for stations to "Game" the system. In other words put in a false report of higher prices for a competing station or maybe more commonly put in a LOWER price for their own station and once you arrive find that it is much higher. I have run across this a lot in Canada.

And I am always careful to note the time and day the report was issued.

The second big problem is that use of Gas Buddy has declined and there are fewer and fewer stations being priced.

I did use it on the Highway (2 round trips) routinely over two consecutive years I saw a definite decline over those two trips.

What I learned over time is that the cheapest fuel on the highway is at the big Yellow unmanned fuel cardlocks (I cant remember their name right now)

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
joe b. wrote:
... and then at the far end where the Cassiar joins the Alaska Hwy about 13 miles north of Watson Lake.

Both stations at "Junction 37" are now closed in the winter.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
GasBuddy did the job for us on the whole trip from Texas to Alaska and back down again, including Yukon and NW territories
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Fill fuel at Kitwanga, and Dease Lake and again at Upper Liard, at the intersection with # 1.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
No issues finding Diesel anywhere in Canada, except maybe in the major cityโ€™s like Vancouver / Calgary. A few times I have pulled into โ€œ fuelโ€ stations in Calgary and Vancouver and found the places donโ€™t have Diesel fuel. Now these places are not on major hwys / roads, they were all found in residential areas.
When we travel up North ( north / east / west of Prince George) we always fill the top 1/2 of the tank.
No issues finding fuel, including propane.
Have fun
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
They last few trips we have made on the Cassiar Hwy have been in diesel powered vehicles. There are 4 or 5 stations that carry diesel. Northbound I usually fill up at the intersection at Kitwanga. Also a nice restaurant attached to the station. If you are going to take the side road into Stewart, BC, they also have diesel. Dease Lake has been a stop for us several times in the past. Several nice campgrounds in the area, plus the gas station - grocery store has an excellent deli. Bell II, roadhouse has diesel, as does Iskut and then at the far end where the Cassiar joins the Alaska Hwy about 13 miles north of Watson Lake.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Available Services along Hwy 37 (aka Cassiar Hwy)
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)