cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ericks red truck n trailer...or what's left of it.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
If you saw my post, asking folks to watch out for my bud Erick, from Wisconsin?....his trailer self-destructed...this is how he is getting on with his trip.

The event...

2 days & 3 hrs to Penticton, B.C. (1900 miles) and then 3 days to Tok, Alaska. (2100). 100 miles down the Tok Cut-off Highway the 33 year old ancient internally rusted out trailer frame broke catastrophically in 3 places. Total desolation and no cell phone. The trailer would never be pulled again on its own suspension. 45 seconds after I stopped my truck, my guardian angel arrived with his heavy duty
truck and 35 foot flatbed trailer. I waved, Dusty stopped, and in a half hour the trailer was loaded on his flatbed. Now that was just unbelievable. I followed him to the widely scattered village of Glenallen and the busted trailer and truck got parked at Dusty's abandoned Rhodeside Bar. This was Saturday morning. Sat
afternoon I arrived in Wasilla and in 15 minutes I had purchased a 14 ton 20 foot flatbed trailer.......and then drove the 150 miles back to Glenallen. Sunday we transferred the trailer to my flatbed. Monday we removed the wheels, axles, springs and cut off the 6 spring hangers from the frame, and removed the broken frame from the front of the trailer.......and started welding the trailer coach to the flatbed. Tuesday we finished the welding and added 6 chains.......and by 2 pm I was rolling to Anchorage. That night bro Tod flew in. WednesdayTod and I worked to mount the bottle gas on the flatbed and get gas to the trailer coach. The trailer was coming back to life. Now I could cook again, Thursday (today) we drove to Homer, Alaska (the very farthest that can be driven west in the western hemisphere).......and tonight we had spaghetti and looked at the mountains and the Pacific Ocean. It is now 11:25 pm and the sun is still up. I am exhausted. We are here for 4 days. So much excitement. I have been asked......"Is it worth the trouble?" My reply is "What trouble?"

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
27 REPLIES 27

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
PA12DRVR wrote:
Saw the red truck with "trailer" Northbound on the Seward Highway just south of Portage yesterday....seemed to be motoring along just fine although (as with many others) a re-read of the requirement to pull over with 5 or more vehicles behind would be in order.

Erick is a red neck from Wisconsin....you tell'im.

Gary Haupt

No problem...but to be fair to Erick, I'd have to tell the same thing to what seems like 40-50 people on weekdays and an additional couple hundred on weekends :).....and then Murphy's law says I'd be the one holding up a bunch of folks the next time I was on the road. :E .....so maybe I'll pass.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
PA12DRVR wrote:
Saw the red truck with "trailer" Northbound on the Seward Highway just south of Portage yesterday....seemed to be motoring along just fine although (as with many others) a re-read of the requirement to pull over with 5 or more vehicles behind would be in order.

Erick is a red neck from Wisconsin....you tell'im.

Gary Haupt

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
tony lee wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:

You should drop by the Walmart parking lot in Fairbanks sometime, if you like seeing others with those same thought processes. Looks like an RV graveyard in some spots around the perimeter. But the "ghosts" are still on site and haunting them. :E :B

Not anymore. The manager comes around every afternoon and if you were there overnight, he gives you your marching orders. Those out for the day return to a formal notice tsped to the door.

So, they cleaned it up? Guess they must have got enough complaints about the "vacationers" to act. Did they tow/remove the ones that weren't mobile any more, too? I've got some pics around somewhere from 2 years ago, of about 4 motorhomes that looked like they weren't going anywhere without some serious heavy lift help. Couple of vehicles that looked like needing it, too.
I've seen worse elsewhere, but not much. Didn't really bother me. I was just sayin', that's all. I know there are folks that are just down on their luck out there, everywhere it seems.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

You should drop by the Walmart parking lot in Fairbanks sometime, if you like seeing others with those same thought processes. Looks like an RV graveyard in some spots around the perimeter. But the "ghosts" are still on site and haunting them. :E :B

Not anymore. The manager comes around every afternoon and if you were there overnight, he gives you your marching orders. Those out for the day return to a formal notice tsped to the door.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

I have been saying for years, decades:

There are no problems, only solutions!

Nice work. 🙂
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Wow, well that's thinking outside the box.
That trailer won't break for sure.
Have to wonder the thought process though from inception before the trip with a junk trailer headed to AK, to mounting it on a flatbed vs just picking up a decent used TT for the same $ as the flatbed.
But if the truck pictured is your Buddys tow vehicle then I totally understand.

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Have to wonder the thought process though from inception before the trip with a junk trailer headed to AK, to mounting it on a flatbed vs just picking up a decent used TT for the same $ as the flatbed.
But if the truck pictured is your Buddy's tow vehicle then I totally understand.

Oh yes..that's his red monster.

This first time I met Eric was 10? 15 years ago..I was working in the Mojave Desert Preserve and he broke down there.

Gary

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. Proves there's always a way out of all predicaments.

-Tom, W3TLN
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
But if the truck pictured is your Buddys tow vehicle then I totally understand.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I’d be proud to park next to these wrecks. A good laugh.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've always believed in repurposing old stuff. This is tops!

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Redneck rv'ing at it's best.