cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evacuation Insurance

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
We are lower 48 U.S. residents looking to travel by RV to Alaska starting May 2022. This is planned to be a slow pleasure trip including driving to the artic ocean. I’m interested if folks have secured evacuation insurance to offset evacuation costs in the event of an accident that would require an evacuation. Have you purchased evacuation insurance and from what company? Have you ever had to use evacuation insurance and what was your experience?
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68
26 REPLIES 26

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
As the crow flies and “assuming” you cross into Canada at Sweet Grass MT ( Coutts Alberta) it’s 1500 miles, (x2 if you don’t use the Alaska ferry service, and we all know crows don’t fly in a straight line) to Beaver Creek Yukon where you enter into Alaska or Chicken Alaska. I quick google map search gives about a 1900 mile one way trip through Canada
You should be inquiring about your insurance coverage for the Canadian leg of your trip.

Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
I lived in Alaska for 26 years (moved to ID last fall), and never heard of anyone needing/wanting evacuation insurance. Remote search and rescue is coordinated and performed by the Alaska Guard with C-130's and Blackhawks. Life flight operates helicopters out of local hospitals and does transports from roadways to the hospital.

I think the purpose might be so they don't have to pay for any rescue/evacuation out of pocket.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
I lived in Alaska for 26 years (moved to ID last fall), and never heard of anyone needing/wanting evacuation insurance. Remote search and rescue is coordinated and performed by the Alaska Guard with C-130's and Blackhawks. Life flight operates helicopters out of local hospitals and does transports from roadways to the hospital.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have FMCAssist through our FMCA membership:
"FMCAssist is emergency medical evacuation and repatriation coverage available to members worldwide as long as you are more than 75 miles from home. If you are a full-time RVer, you are always considered 75 miles from home. FMCAssist services are also available to members when traveling abroad. Some exclusions and limitation amounts pertain to these benefits."

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Homeless by Choice wrote:
This is what I have.

It works in all parts of the World that is not U.S. DEPARTMENT of STATE — BUREAU of CONSULAR AFFAIRS ... Travel Advisories restricted.

All ambulance fees are paid-- ground and air
100% payment -- no co-pays
Returns you home via Air Ambulance (private jet aircraft) and spouse
Returns your vehicle home -- at no expense to you

Check into it.
LeRoy

I love your rig ( grin)
Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I have.

It works in all parts of the World that is not U.S. DEPARTMENT of STATE — BUREAU of CONSULAR AFFAIRS ... Travel Advisories restricted.

All ambulance fees are paid-- ground and air
100% payment -- no co-pays
Returns you home via Air Ambulance (private jet aircraft) and spouse
Returns your vehicle home -- at no expense to you

Check into it.
LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
In North America, I would just get very good medical insurance, which should include transport to good hospitals, after your visit to the local hospital. Now for places where the hospitals are of low quality (Africa) I paid Global Rescue, but never needed their services yet.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Allianz has lots of plans-if we are flying we get a general plan that covers multiple issues.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Are you talking about medical evacuation insurance, or roadside assistance/towing insurance? I'm not entirely sure the latter exists, or at least is commonly available, that would cover costs of towing along, say, the Dalton Highway.

The trip along the Dalton Highway was one of the top few highlights of my trip to Alaska a few years ago. It also was undeniably rough on my motorhome, and made it very, very dirty indeed. In my opinion, the wear and tear was well worth it for the amazing scenery and vastness all around.

Medical evacuation.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
possibly.this
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you talking about medical evacuation insurance, or roadside assistance/towing insurance? I'm not entirely sure the latter exists, or at least is commonly available, that would cover costs of towing along, say, the Dalton Highway.

The trip along the Dalton Highway was one of the top few highlights of my trip to Alaska a few years ago. It also was undeniably rough on my motorhome, and made it very, very dirty indeed. In my opinion, the wear and tear was well worth it for the amazing scenery and vastness all around.

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
Every time I go on a cruise I purchase it for my wife and I. No, we have never had to use it.Evacuation Insurance.
We usually go with Alliance Insurance, another you might want to look at is Insuremytrip
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.