cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favorite routes/campgrounds Elkhart to Colorado

abbyarts
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be picking up my new Nexus next month in Elkhart and driving back home to CO. I have time to meander a bit, like to stay off interstates and away from larger cities, see some small towns and nice camping areas en route. Any favorite roads posters here like?
AbbyArts
3 REPLIES 3

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
What city is your Colorado destination? That would make a difference.

+1 on that.

We did a (mostly) non-interstate trip last year from Denver to the Angola area (Big Turkey Lake), and used 2 lane roads for a goodly part of it.

In Indiana, we were on US 24 (in reverse order - this was our trip east) from Fort Wayne, west to Logansport and on west into Illinois. West of Watseka, we were on I-57 south to I-72, which we took to Hannibal MO. There, we took US 36 across both Missouri and Kansas. I really enjoyed the drive across MO and KS on US 36, and if were to go east again from here (north of Denver), I'd take the same route.

Depending on where in Colorado you're headed, you can stay on US 36 on in to Colorado (we cut up and took US 34 from NW Kansas on in to Loveland) and take it all the way to Denver area, if that's your general destination. If not, there's alternatives to dropping further south or north.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
What city is your Colorado destination? That would make a difference.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
For better scenery I would drop down and go across Missouri. In Springfield MO is Fantastic Caverns, ride thru on propane powered jeep. We like Sam A Baker State Park in southern MO at Patterson. (limited cell service). Down through Oklahoma City if it's not too far away. Lots of things to see and do in OKC. We like Twin Fountains RV park there. Eureka Springs Arkansas is nice and if you like touristy type stuff, Branson MO has lots to do.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi