cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flagstaff to Ruidoso, NM

Colbie_s_family
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are heading from Flagstaff, AZ to Ruidoso, NM. Initially we were going to take 40 to Albuquerque but our Good Sam created a route that goes from 40 to 180 through Springerville and then on 60 for about 150 miles.

Has anyone taken this route and are roads good? I have a 35 ft class A, Diesel.

Thanks for any feedback.
8 REPLIES 8

Colbie_s_family
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for the helpful info.

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
60 will take you to Socorro, NM then you pickup I 25 south for a couple miles to 380 east. About 10 miles east of Carrizozo, NM take 37 south to 48 south to downtown Ruidoso. It is all good roads and plenty of rv's travel them everyday. Diesel fuel is available in Snowflake, Springerville, Socorro and Carrizozo.

Colbie_s_family
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. Looking forward to the journey!

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to Pie Town, that route (US-60) will take you past The Very Large Array. There is a BLM campground at Datil Well. If you continue East toward Ruidoso on US-380, there is the Valley of Fires Recreation Area near Carrizozo that also has a campground. If you continue East on US-380 to Capitan, you can visit The Smokey Bear Historic Site. Fort Stanton is not too far from Capitan. NM-48 will take you from Capitan to Ruidoso.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Rug wrote:
Great route. Great scenery.
Be sure to stop in Pie Town for some pie.

We have been on this route many times.

yep good ride. Pie town is really small but the restaurant has good pie
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Rug
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great route. Great scenery.
Be sure to stop in Pie Town for some pie.

We have been on this route many times.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes, we have traveled it many times. A short piece of it above Springerville is not too good, but the rest is fine.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
The roads are good but it is backcountry and few fuel stations or other retail entities are available along the route. I don't have a problem doing interstates, it's about the only way to get anywhere in AZ & NM plus you make better time.

If you are looking to avoid driving through Albuquerque take I-40 further west to NM exit 126. Known as the Los Lunas exit, it will effectively bypass ABQ and take you to I-25 faster and more directly than Good Sam route. The other route is fine, be sure to gas up and get vittles in Springerville.