cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Florida to Maine.

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
We will be heading to Maine in mid April once the snow stops falling. I know I-95 is the most direct route. We may stop in D.C and Boston but is there another way between those two cities to avoid NYC Baltimore and Phili and that whole mess.

Thanks as always.
7 REPLIES 7

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Route 2 will take you right across to that area. Check on the map. By heading north into Vermont or NH you avoid the big city traffic.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to Bar Harbor if that makes any differance

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
I use 17 north of Richmond to cut over to 66 then 81. 78 avoids the mountains between Harrisburg and Scranton. Near Allentown I cut over to 209 to the Port Jervis area. From there I use a variety of routes depending on what I want to see. Usually head up to Vermont and NH on my way to Maine. Been doing this every summer for about 10 years now. Lots of choices that avoid the Boston/DC corridor. A lovely scenic route is I91 to St Johnsbury, VT and then Rt 2 to Maine.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Pick up I-83 north of Baltimore, take it to Harrisburg PA and take I-81 North to the Scranton PA area. Then take I-84 into New England.
It's a little farther but, you miss Philadelphia and NYC.
That's the way we go from Harrisburg to Bangor ME.

Some will go to the Harrisburg area and take I-78 east to I-287 north.

2x

Ed
🙂

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
Lurker52 wrote:
We will be heading to Maine in mid April once the snow stops falling. I know I-95 is the most direct route. We may stop in D.C and Boston but is there another way between those two cities to avoid NYC Baltimore and Phili and that whole mess.

Thanks as always.
There are a couple. The one I'm most familiar with is 301 North - you can pick it up almost anywhere along I-95 North in NC or VA, but I usually grab it off I-295 around Richmond. It heads off to the NE, through Fort AP Hill, then across the James and Potomac Rivers. Once into Maryland, there's a bit of a slowdown with about 10 miles of trafffic lights near Waldorf, but then you pick up US 50, and head east to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge - over to the eastern shore, then back due north on 301, all the way to Wilmington. Then get on I-95 for the short hop to the Del Memorial Bridge, then you can take I-295 and or the Jersey Turnpike north.

An alternate is to take 58 East to Norfolk when you get to Emporia, and then take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and US 13/113 North through the Delmarva peninsula up to the Wilmington DE area, and then as above.

I'm not as familiar with the more western routes around the DC-Balto-Philly-NYC mess, but I-81 gets lots of votes. Depends on how far around you want to zig-zag before you head back east to Maine... Either way are better than sticking to I-95 once past Fredericksburg.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been back and forth from Fl to Maine several times.
We did it on 95 twice; the first and last time.

It's horrible. NJ Thruway is deadly and horrible. VWs have disappeared in pot holes.
We take US 301 to I26n to I77N to I81n. From there there are a few ways to go depending on where in Maine you are going. We usually go up to Lake George for a few days then head east slowly on one of the state roads; 2 or 3. Avoids JAX, DC, Boston, Hartford, no tolls. Nice roads, scenic.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Pick up I-83 north of Baltimore, take it to Harrisburg PA and take I-81 North to the Scranton PA area. Then take I-84 into New England.
It's a little farther but, you miss Philadelphia and NYC.
That's the way we go from Harrisburg to Bangor ME.

Some will go to the Harrisburg area and take I-78 east to I-287 north.