cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Florida to Townsend, TN

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
I'm planning a trip from Florida to Townsend, TN in September. Believe it or not, there is no question about Atlanta. I plan on driving straight through on 75 at an appropriate time. However, my plan is to avoid the Chattanooga area, and exit 75 north of Atlanta and get on Rt 411 north into Maryville, and then turning east onto Rt 321.

It looks like a simple and relaxing drive along 411. Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle
28 REPLIES 28

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
TundraTower wrote:
Sorry, I got 411 and 441 across Newfound Gap switched in my mind. Apparently what ever I'm smoking is a little strong.

And yes, both our mis-adventures around Chatta were on Saturday. We actually wondered if that might be the real problem with everyone out enjoying the good weather and trying to get that last outing in before school starts. The times we've actually made it thru the breach in the last 2 years has been on weekdays.
That smoke can do that to you! :B
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I got 411 and 441 across Newfound Gap switched in my mind. Apparently what ever I'm smoking is a little strong.

And yes, both our mis-adventures around Chatta were on Saturday. We actually wondered if that might be the real problem with everyone out enjoying the good weather and trying to get that last outing in before school starts. The times we've actually made it thru the breach in the last 2 years has been on weekdays.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

SageCrispin
Explorer
Explorer
TundraTower wrote:
Not sure what you guys are smoking, but Chattanooga this summer is a disaster.

Wow, no arguing with experience, but...

Spent all afternoon and evening on 7/28 out and about in Choo Choo town and never got held up once. Admittedly, I don't remember being there on a weekend. When we head to the aquarium, I guess we generally shoot for the weekdays.

As they say, YMMV....

Safe travels....
We've run out in the house, but the RV has two.

Damon Challenger.
Jeep Unlimited toad

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a good trip and watch your speed thru Benton Tenn.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for all of the help. I'll be coming up from the south, so I think I'll give 411 into Maryville a shot. As far as Atlanta goes, I'll probably stick with my plan of trying to time the drive through there as best I can to minimize traffic. Thanks again! 🙂

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
TundraTower wrote:
PS - 411 is not all that bad. You can avoid going thru Gatlinburg by turning left onto 321 at the Sugarlands Visitor Center just after you come down the mountain and before you enter Gatlinburg. That is the backway into Townsend and rarely heavy with traffic except the fall.
I am trying to figure out what you are smoking! :h If you take 411 into Maryville and get on 321 to Townsend it turns left and goes across Wears Valley into PF. Not Sugarland or Gatlinburg.
Op just wants Townsend so really PF and Gatlinburg doesn't even matter.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
PS - 411 is not all that bad. You can avoid going thru Gatlinburg by turning left onto 321 at the Sugarlands Visitor Center just after you come down the mountain and before you enter Gatlinburg. That is the backway into Townsend and rarely heavy with traffic except the fall.

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what you guys are smoking, but Chattanooga this summer is a disaster.

We went I-24 WB thru there last Saturday 7/25 headed to Smokys from north ALa. Came to a dead stop about 10 miles from Mocasin Bend and MapQuest said everything was stopped even beyond that point. We bailed off on I-59 south and invented a backroads detour thru Georgia.

Coming back Saturday 8/1, MapQuest showed more stopped traffic on I-24 WB on both sides of the I-75 exchange. We again went thru Georgia thru Dalton and got back on at Nickajack. WB was moving thankfully, but I-24 EB was stacking all the way back to the South Pittsburg exit.

I can't find any news of wrecks or other problems. There is a little construction but other times it shows to be flowing. Chattanooga for us has always been a growing problem for stacking and stopping, mainly because the interstate goes THRU town and not around it. And once you are trapped, there aren't many escape routes other than wading thru downtown with our 51 feet long rig.

We will make more trips in that direction this fall, but Chattanooga is officially off our radar. The drive thru Georgia isn't bad, and at least you are moving at a decent speed.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocamprs wrote:
If I were to take US-27 around Atlanta I would take I-75 up to Tifton. Then go west to Columbus Ga, US-82/GA-520/US-280. And at Rome take GA-53 over to Calhoun GA. There you can pick up I-75, or GA-225 to Chatsworth and US-411. US-411 and US-27 run together awhile on the south side of Rome, but US-411 then goes east to Cartersville. No way I would take US-27 all the way into Chattanooga.
If you take this route you can also stay on 53 when in Calhoun and it will go straight to 411. I live just off 53.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
I hate Atlanta and we go the easy route. Go I-75 to Macon, Ga.Get on I-16 South for about a mile. Exit onto Rt.129 to 441 at Eatonton or Milledgeville. 441 all the way thru the park. Go up thru Pigion Forge and 321 to Townsend. Yes, its a longer route. Some traffic in Pigeon F. Whatever you do, DO NOT take Rt.129 around the west side of the park. A 10 mile stretch of this road is known as 'The Dragons Tail'. It has, somehow, become the property of car and motorcycle RACERS! They do NOT take kindly to RVs on THEIR road.

I wouldn't want to take my RV down the dragon either. There's no way i could stay in my lane.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Chattanooga is a cake walk any time of day compared to Atlanta. With that being said, when I head to Florida from Ohio every year I just take 75 south and don't worry about it. Chattanooga is the least of concerns I have on that road.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to take US-27 around Atlanta I would take I-75 up to Tifton. Then go west to Columbus Ga, US-82/GA-520/US-280. And at Rome take GA-53 over to Calhoun GA. There you can pick up I-75, or GA-225 to Chatsworth and US-411. US-411 and US-27 run together awhile on the south side of Rome, but US-411 then goes east to Cartersville. No way I would take US-27 all the way into Chattanooga.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
From Clermont I'd take the Turnpike to SR-44, SR-44 west to US-19, US-19 up to I-10, then pick up US-27 again on the north side of Tallahassee. Up through central Florida on US-27 is going to take forever.

Take the I-185 bypass around Columbus, Ga. so you won't waste a couple of hours going through town.

I've gone through Chattanooga a couple of times on US-27 and it wasn't horrible; far, far better than Atlanta.
-jbh-

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Just figure in about 4 more hours into the trip taking 27 from Clermont.