cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fort Davis Tx or Alpine TX need help

Olympian_retire
Explorer
Explorer
I need help to make a good choice on in Texas i was looking at Fort Davis and Alpine TX they both look like they are really out there but somewhat we all look for the quiet sound of nothing. So if i can get some ideas that would be great thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

Lon-Str
Explorer
Explorer
Team Triton wrote:
I could be wrong but I doubt any snow. We went for several days 2 years ago to watch the meteor showers in August and it was the trip of a life time. Be sure and do the tour of the Observatory and also the star party at night. In Alpine be sure to go to the Museum at the college.

Generally around Thanksgiving would be a great time to visit the park, as that would be pretty early for ice and snow, but if you go back to 2013 and check out the Thanksgiving storm you will see it can happen. The whole area was shutdown without electricity for several days. This year it happened in Jan.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry much about the weather though, generally down here all you have to do is just wait it out for a couple of days and it's pretty quickly gone. Probably no big deal for you folks that deal with that a lot during the winter. Your biggest worry would be getting run over by one of us Texicans, we tend to do that a lot in that kind of weather. Come on and enjoy.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the weather history of 2014:

Fort Davis Weather History
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Team_Triton
Explorer
Explorer
I could be wrong but I doubt any snow. We went for several days 2 years ago to watch the meteor showers in August and it was the trip of a life time. Be sure and do the tour of the Observatory and also the star party at night. In Alpine be sure to go to the Museum at the college.

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
Lon-Str wrote:
Olympian retired wrote:
i belive its 4500

That could possibly be correct maybe at headquarters ,but the town of Fort Davis shows 5050 and there are several places in the park where you look down on the town. Just guessing, but I feel pretty certain some of the mountains in Davis Mtn SP are over a mile high.

Thanks. So there could be snow on the ground around Thanksgiving!

Lon-Str
Explorer
Explorer
Olympian retired wrote:
i belive its 4500

That could possibly be correct maybe at headquarters ,but the town of Fort Davis shows 5050 and there are several places in the park where you look down on the town. Just guessing, but I feel pretty certain some of the mountains in Davis Mtn SP are over a mile high.

Olympian_retire
Explorer
Explorer
i belive its 4500

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
What is elevation at Ft. Davis SP?

Olympian_retire
Explorer
Explorer
thank you to all that gave me great ideas thank you

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
McDonald Observatory
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Javelina at our site at Fort Davis

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Lon-Str
Explorer
Explorer
Fort Davis for sure as far as camping. Great hiking trails if that's your thing, one even allows you to hike into the National historic site of the old frontier fort ( well worth a visit .) Outstanding wildlife viewing; Mule & white tail deer, javelina , coyotes and many more including an occasional cougar. On my visit last Nov. I also ran across a group of Barbary sheep ( Aoudad ), which are probably considered an invasive species.

Many species of birds including one rare quail and a number of different rattlesnakes. If you have time you may want to make a day trip around the loop, either to Marfa then around to Alpine, or the other way around. The old Paisano hotel in Marfa was where the cast & crew of the movie Giant stayed during filming in the area, also you may want to check out the Marfa mystery lights while there.

As others have mentioned the Mcdonald Observatory is certainly worth a visit. A great amount of history and beautiful scenery go with the area, but don't expect any malls or Wal Marts

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Totally agree with all of the above.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely Fort Davis State Park. Also plan a night trip to the nearby Planitarium for an awesome program. It's a beautiful area.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
FT Davis state park is really neat. The deer, javelina,plus whatever run through the park so don't let the dogs outside without supervision.

It really gets dark so you can go to the observatory to one of the star parties and look at the planets.

It is for sure dark and quiet

x2 and they have full hook up sites - our site from above

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks