Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

From CA. To Fla.

Mr__Bill_TT
Explorer
Explorer
Need some input from other RVs .
I am working on a trip from CA. Bay area to St. Petersburg FL.
Then up to Franklin maine.
I have traveled a few trips on Hwy. 40 but I find it too boring.
Any body else have a better idea?
Thanks!.
7 REPLIES 7

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
there are two good ways to see Kansas...at night or from 36,000 feet.
We spent a week in Kansas one day....
Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
Pick out some secondary roads in the direction of travel and you'll enjoy it better than on the interstates.

In many areas of the midwest, I'm not sure the secondary roads are really any more interesting than the Interstates. Miles of corn fields (or wheat fields) are pretty monotonous no matter what kind of road they're next to. The intestates have the advantage of taking less time to get through the monotony.

(I remember getting scared out of my wits by the car radio in the midwest several years ago. I had been driving along and the station I was listening to got out of range, so I hit the seek button to find another one. It cycled through, didn't find anything, and started back again for a second pass, and a third pass, and...well, after maybe fifteen minutes of scanning, there finally was another station that came on. I think I probably would have bruised my head on the roof from jumping up if it weren't for the seat belt holding me in.)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Pick out some secondary roads in the direction of travel and you'll enjoy it better than on the interstates.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jamesroadking
Explorer
Explorer
Taking the more scenic two lane roads are more enjoyable, but are a lot slower and you'll end up using a lot more fuel than taking the boring freeways.
Of all the east west freeways, I 10 is my choice. Take one of the outer bypasses around San Antonio, and the 12 bypass of New Orleans.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
All the roads are boring.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Recently came from Arizona to Georgia on I-10 and 20 which were in much better condition than I-40. Center of the country is boring but there are two good ways to see Kansas...at night or from 36,000 feet.:B Guess you can include TX in that.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
US I-80, or I-70 they only add 3-4 hours to the trip, but no guarantee of being more scenic. Scenic depends on what you consider scenery.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat