cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ft Bragg CA and Route 1 -- long 5er

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I noticed on the Calif Highway Restrictions there is restriction around Ft Bragg for buses and motorhomes over 40 feet but no mention of fifth wheels or TT.

I have a 35 foot kingpin to rear bumper 5er. This makes me about 50 feet bumper to bumper. Will I be (1) "legal" or (2) have any serious problems driving up the coast from SF?

I do not mind curves or slow traffic. I most often take the "red" roads and not the interstate highways.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
9 REPLIES 9

PopBeavers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went to Fort Bragg from Willits last summer on highway 20 towing a 37 foot FW.

I will not go back again. Did not enjoy the drive.

Nice place to visit, though.

There are other roads to get there but they are worse.
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2015 Ford F350 diesel 6.7L 4x4 crew cab short bed
Super Glide hitch

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
Really pay attention to what AZdryheat said. We went that way years ago pulling our 38' 5'r when the sign with length restriction was posted AFTER you were on Hwy 1. Would never do it again. Many hairpin turns when the 5'r went way over in the other lane. Hubby wanted off that road asap.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Most RV 5ers are less then 30 foot from king pin to rear axle. You would have to have a very large rig to be 30 foot.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I havenโ€™t with my TT and wonโ€™t. Take CA Hwy 20 out to US 101 with your 5er. Do CA Hwy 1 in your TV only.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
Under the truck restriction, it says 30 foot king pin to rear axle.
Truck restrictions

My 35 foot FW is probably less than 20 feet kingpin to rear axle. I have not measured it.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I think if it's restricted for buses and motorhomes, it's probably restricted for FW and trailers. It would be easy to find out by making a phone call. I'm curious about this too. I have a 37' FW and was thinking of a run up the coast and I knew the coast was a winding narrow road in places but it never occured to me that it might be restricted.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Under the truck restriction, it says 30 foot king pin to rear axle.
Truck restrictions

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
5th wheels/trailers aren't mentioned. Go for it. Road does have some tight turns. Personally I wouldn't take my RV on it. Road it once on a motorcycle, it was awesome.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven it with my 34' 5er I think motorhomes are prohibited because the don't bend in the middle LOL. You notice it says nothing about semi's and 5th wheels.