cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Junction to Denver in early to mid April

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to be in Monument Valley the first of April, from there we're considering going north to Moab and then up to I-70 and across to Denver. What is 70 usually like that time of year? We've been through the area a couple times, most recently last August we were in Glenwood
Springs coming from Fort Collins and went through the mountains no problem. I don't own tire chains and have NO desire to have to use them going forward. :R

Avoid I-70 in mid April or not?? Thanks in advance for your opinions. :C

Dan B.
6 REPLIES 6

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the information! We've scrapped the idea of going up through Moab and east through Colorado entirely. Too many negatives, it's just easier to migrate east via the southern route. :W

Dan

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
dapperdan wrote:
We're going to be in Monument Valley the first of April, from there we're considering going north to Moab and then up to I-70 and across to Denver. What is 70 usually like that time of year? We've been through the area a couple times, most recently last August we were in Glenwood
Springs coming from Fort Collins and went through the mountains no problem. I don't own tire chains and have NO desire to have to use them going forward. :R

Avoid I-70 in mid April or not?? Thanks in advance for your opinions. :C

Dan B.

H E R E - CO Chain Law is information on the Colorado chain law, which runs from Sept 1 to May 31 yearly.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the feed back. Not only weather related issues but availability too! :E We had NO idea about Jeep week. Sounds like a "Sturgis" thing or in Milwaukee during "Harley Fest" This summer's the 120th, it'll be nuts (and LOUD). :B

Dan B.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
ist week of april is jeep week in moab. it will be full and next to impossible to get a spot this late.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to watch the weather a lot,we got stuck in a 14 inch snow storm on may 10 a couple of years ago so I don't pull a trailer up there till late May now.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
March and April are normally the two snowiest months in the Rockies and Denver (and east) area. I lived there for 30 years. However, snow can come and go fairly quickly. It would be prudent to look at accurate forecasts for areas such as Vail Pass and the Eisenhower Tunnels and plan around that. If snowfall is heavy, chains can become mandatory.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website