cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great Lakes Trip - HOMES!

travel4family
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking about doing a Great Lakes "tour" this summer - see all five and some sites along the way. Wondering if anyone has a best route or any must-sees at a particular lake or along the way? If it helps we have 12 and 15 year-old daughters who are fairly adventurous, will hike, do museums and love walking around little towns to see the shops and ice cream places!

As an aside - we don't have passports but I believe they are needed to cut across Canada now, right? Thought about Niagara falls but wondering if it's worth it to buy passports for four people for just a day or so?

We have some ideas but thought we'd just let y'all go to see what comes along. Sites, beaches, National Parks, neat little towns, campgrounds, and restaurants... let's hear it. Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some sights I'm familiar with on the USA side:
- Lake Erie:
Cedar Point theme park
Kellys Island camping (ferry ride)
- Lake Huron
Mackinac Island/Bridge
- UP
Tahquamenon Falls SP
Fort Wilkins at tip of the peninsula beyond Houghton
- also on Lake Superior
Pictured Rocks
Porcupine Mtns
Apostle Island
Minnesota North Shore
- Lake Michigan
Door Peninsula
Peninsula SP
Washington Island (car ferry)
Rock Island SP (passenger ferry)
Illinois Beach SP
Indiana Dunes
Warren Dunes

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It would be more of a vacation if you saved some of the Great Lakes for another trip. Ten days just isn't enough time to do it all.

I would suggest if you haven't done Michigan to head north to the Traverse City area and take in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore on Lake Michigan. Great hiking, museums, wonderful small towns to explore and an absolutely beautiful area.

You could then head to the Mackinac area and spend a day on the island. Rent bikes and buy some fudge. 🙂

Then cross the Mighty Mac Bridge and continue north to Tahquamenon Falls State Park and spend time at Whitefish Point and the Great Lakes Ship Museum on Lake Superior.

By then it will be time to turn around for home, possibly by way of eastern Michigan. Have a great trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do Google searches for `_______ tourism' and put the town, state, area or whatever in the blank space. I suggest Cedar Point, Ohio.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did a Lake Superior tour of waterfalls in 2012 which took 17 days and 54 waterfalls. If you only have a couple of weeks you need to pick and choose where you will spend some time. Doing all of the lakes is going to not be easy in a short time.

Good luck on the planning. We spend most every year touring Michigan and still find more to see and do. Depends on the season on where you want to be.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
travel4family wrote:
Probably only 10 days... I realize that's pretty much going somewhere new every day.

Personally...with only 10 days I would go through Michigan, Mackinac Island, up to Sault St Marie, cross over and follow Lake Huron around to Sudbury then down to Parry Sound, to Barrie. Then follow Georgian bay west through Collingwood, Owen Sound to Southhampton. Then south to Sarnia/Port Huron and home.

You would need another 10 days to do Niagra and Toronto.

This Route you would see the best of Michigan and near north Ontario. Lots of camping, hiking, bike trails etc.

No matter the route you choose enjoy!

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely do NOT miss Mackinac Island!! Best town I can think of to wander around on foot. Several good CGs nearby; we've stayed at the St. Ignace KOA, which was fine; Straits SP (on the UP near St. Ignace) and Wilderness SP (a bit farther afield, west of Mackinaw City) are nice; several other private CGs in Mackinaw City. Ferries go from both towns for a great day trip to the island. You really do step back in time.

If you have time, the Keweenau Peninsula is a great place to visit Lake Superior. If not, you could consider a visit to Whitefish Point on the eastern end of the UP to count - and it's a fascinating little museum there, dedicated to the various shipwrecks in the Lakes. Camp at Tahquamenon SP (and hike to the waterfall in the park) for a base camp for Whitefish Point.

To visit the Soo, I'd recommend camping at Aune-Osborn County Park, on one end of Sault Ste Marie. Not much to look at as a CG, but the view of the lake freighters going by is stupendous (clean facilities too).
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The Lake Michigan shoreline in W MI is pretty special. So many nice state parks, beaches, and lighthouses. Rent dune buggies and run around on the dunes at Silver Lake SP. Drive to the top of Sleeping Bear. If early July, get some freshly picked cherries anywhere around Traverse City. Charlevoix and Mackinaw City are filled with little shops. Take a boat to Mackinac Island and ride bikes around the island, see the old fort, eat fudge, and browse more shops. Head across the Mackinaw Bridge and get ready for more fun in the Upper Peninsula.

In the UP, be sure to see the Big Spring at Palms Book SP. For a little history, head to Fayette SP and see the old iron ore processing buildings and artifacts. Shoot north to Munising and hope for a sunny day to get great views of the Pictured Rocks Lakeshore from one of the tour boats. Meander NW to the Keweenaw Peninsula and drive the western shoreline all the way to the tip (the shoreline views make this a 'don't miss' IMO. Then continue west to the Porcupine Mountains SP and enjoy the high view looking down at Lake of the Clouds (the SP east unit), then drive to the west unit and hike up one side of the Presque Isle River (about 2 miles) and back (another 'don't miss' place).

Um, how much time did you say you have? 😄 10 days seems about right just for all of this and then the return trip along the WI shore of Lake Michigan!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Get your passports (or passport cards). While they may not be required for entry to Canada, it will simplify the crossing, and THEY ARE REQUIRED for re-entry to the U.S.
There are many things to see and do on the Niagara River Parkway.Niagara Parks. If your interest in history, there is old Fort Erie, Old Fort Niagara and old Fort George, all along the Niagara River. "will hike, do museums and love walking around little towns to see the shops and ice cream places!" Niagara on the Lake is the ideal town for that. and that just a small portion of to do things in the Niagara area.
Also in southern Ontario are many sand beaches on Lake Huron, Georgian Bay. Bruce peninsula for hiking sites.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

travel4family
Explorer
Explorer
Probably only 10 days... I realize that's pretty much going somewhere new every day.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Get the passports, you may want to come back often once you have visited Canada!
If you want more wilderness than population, you may find more on the Canadian side of the Great Lakes. Northern Michigan not included, follow Lake Huron through Michigan, great area.

Lake Superior, Northern Ontario. The ride from Thunder Bay to the Sioux should be on everyone's bucket list.

Lake Huron, you could do the circle. Cross at Sault St Marie, circle lake Huron back to Sarnia/Port Huron. Excellent views, beautiful rock, , loads of camping, hiking, lakes and beautiful beaches. Loads to do!

You could stay in Canada and head east to Niagra Falls. Sorry but the Canadian side has more to offer than the American side and the views are lots better. Besides the falls the area is bountiful of vineyards and fruit farms, peaches etc. Niagra on the Lake very historical. Lake Erie/Lake ontario is Welland Canal. Niagra is about an hour and half to Toronto.

There are way to many things to mention in Toronto area..CN tower, Air Canada Centre.

You really need to determine your amount of time. Ask us Canadians from each area what there is to offer. It is really a beautiful place to visit.

As you can tell I am a little bias, I love Northern Ontario. It really is a gift to us all

dennisgt60
Explorer
Explorer
A little more info might help....how much time will you have for the "tour"?
2012 F-250 XLT, 6.2L, 4x4, CC, Standard Bed, 10,000lb. GVWR, 3.73 Axle.
Truck CAT Wt. 7,120 lbs.
Stated payload max. 2,881 lbs.
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8282ws.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Get passport cards , not the regular passport. Much cheaper and valid for travel in Canada and Mexico.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today