cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Guanella Pass from Georgetown CO

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
What is the maximum length permitted on Guanella Pass? We have a 25.5 foot long Thor Axis 24.1 Class A and wonder if it can handle the curves on the pass starting from Georgetown.
2 REPLIES 2

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
hedgehopper wrote:
What is the maximum length permitted on Guanella Pass? We have a 25.5 foot long Thor Axis 24.1 Class A and wonder if it can handle the curves on the pass starting from Georgetown.

There are 4 hairpin curves coming out of the Guanella Pass Campground, but they are not overly difficult and are broad enough in the curve. There's a few spots where there's a maximum 11% grade. I don't recall any signs that restrict any RVs, but I've read a few places where "large" RVs are not recommended. They don't define "large", but I'm thinking bigger than your rig. The hairpins are certainly no more challenging than the ones on the west side of Trail Ridge Road dropping down, or any other mountain pass. As passes go, it's not overly difficult.

Need to be aware that, during the height of the spring/summer/fall season (read no snow) that there will likely be a lot of cars parked from the 4th curve up to the summit of the pass. There's 2 parking lots up top but they become full quickly so folks park along the roadway on the approach to the summit. Continuing on through to Grant, there's only one hairpin on the downward side as well as a sweeper curve, otherwise just following the valley down.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t recall there being a length limit. I seem to recall there being sign about trailers not being a good idea though
It has been a while since I have been there but I donโ€™t think you will have any real issues with your length
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS