cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Long Term planning for Alaska

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I plan to visit Alaska in a few years (2-4) but may start getting the pieces sooner, so want some advice. We currently have a 26'TT (5500# dry) I pull with a F150 3.5EB. I will likely get a new truck in a year or so. Is the 26' TT a good size for Alaska? If i get a new camper, would likely get a smallish 5th wheel and then a 3/4 ton for towing. Should I stay at half-ton? Thinking I will get diesel for mpg and ease of fill-up at truck stops and don't care about brands. Or...should I get a Class A or C for the trip and a smaller truck and tow it? We live on a farm, so having a truck is a must, but other than towing, don't really care about what size.
So to summarize, which option would you choose? Or something else?

A. Keep trailer and new half ton
B. Keep trailer and new 3/4 ton
C. Class A
D. Class C
E. New fifth wheel and 3/4 ton
Thanks
JB
16 REPLIES 16

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled a 5er up there with our F350 a couple of years ago. We saw all these truck campers and realized the could go places we couldn't We bought a T/C when we got back and put it on the 350, now we use that setup everywhere we go.Just 2 of us and the dog but it works for us. We saw a couple in alaska that's had 3 kids in their Arctic Fox, and although they claimed no problems , I just can't imagine a trip like that!!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
You'll see all different sorts of RVs in Alaska. Truck campers seem to be especially popular, and I can well understand the practicality of them there. Depending where you want to go, relativelyy small ones may be a little more practical. A 26' trailer shouldn't pose many particular problems, generally speaking. Of course, any setup has its advantages and disadvantages and limitations; there are a great many areas in Alaska, vast expanses indeed, that cannot be reached by road at all.

If you're interested in traveling the Dalton highway, I would not suggest going with a brand-new RV. It's a rather grueling, sometimes rough trip for the vehicle. It's also one of the most beautiful roads I've ever been on, particularly in the vicinity of Atigun pass (but far from exclusively in that area).

IMHO a towed vehicle with a motorhome is less of a necessity in Alaska than in many other areas. The only areas where RV parking is much of an issue are areas where there's public transit available.