cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Houston toll roads

Omer_Donna
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed to Houston and wondering if we should get a TXTAG for the toll roads. We didn't get the pass the last time we were there and got a scary bill in the mail months later. Has anyone had recent experience or can offer any info? We would have to drive to a location to buy the tag since there is no time to get one in the mail.
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay, 35'
1998 Jeep Wrangler
13 REPLIES 13

houtrz
Explorer
Explorer
If you tow a trailer, you will need an EZ Pass for the trailer too. You don't have to put it on the trailer but I was forced to buy one for my Jet Ski trailer. When I go through the toll, it reads my car tag then sees the Jet Ski and since its added to my account they bill for that too.

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
When we were in Ft Worth area, there were toll lanes. We didn't want to take them but GPS put us on those routes. We never got a bill. Different system I guess.

Explorer II
Explorer II
The tolls have been unmanned for a year. We just drive through the EZTag lanes expecting a bill. Haven't seen one yet. I might get that scary bill someday.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right now, none of the toll ways have any type of manned toll booths.

You can go through those lanes, just don't stop.
You will be sent a bill in the mail.

https://www.hctra.org/HelpAndSupport
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Don't forget, they charge for the Toad too. they take a photo of the back plate and when it is different they charge for two.

That's why I mentioned I got charged for a 5 axle toll. RV plus toad.

Omer_Donna
Explorer
Explorer
I did expect to get a bill but it was much higher than I thought and they had a note that if this was your first time they would forgive some of the charges and I paid it promptly. The locations to walk in and buy a pass are limited, 70 miles from where we are now and not on our current route to Houston. After looking at the non-toll road options, we're going to buy the pass. Thank you all for the info, this forum always comes through for us. Great info LouLawrence to put it on the toad.
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay, 35'
1998 Jeep Wrangler

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this is a regular trip, then set up an account and put money in it and they take it out as needed. When you pay by mail the price is a lot higher or use to be. Where we live we had to go thru Texas to o East so a account was setup. Way cheaper and easy.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget, they charge for the Toad too. they take a photo of the back plate and when it is different they charge for two.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
The tolls are high if you don't have an EZ Pass so if you plan to spend any amount of time in the Houston area you absolutely want to get the pass. If you are just passing through you can pay or you can detour to non-toll roads. It's not hard to do but it does add miles to your travels.
Houston is our home base so when we are not traveling we often head to Houston. We have the pass and even when we don't use it for years it costs us nothing. When we return it's still active and we are good to go. We keep one on the toad only and if we pass through with the MH and the toad we get charged the 5 axle price. If we are just in the car we get charged for just the car.
It has worked out very well for us.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
2oldman wrote:
All that technology and they still send bills in the mail.

If you don’t have an account with them they have no choice but to send the bill to the name and address of the vehicle license plate number.
What about when they do have a choice? Seems like there may be an email address along with your registration. Then again, maybe it's an arcane system like medical bills. Paper only. Wait 6 months.

Excuse the rant, but some of these systems just seem so behind the times. If the doctors I visit in my travels would simply email or text me a bill, they could get paid immediately instead of waiting.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:

If you don’t have an account with them they have no choice but to send the bill to the name and address of the vehicle license plate number.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
What do you mean by a scary bill? Threatening legal action? Larger than you expected? Didn't expect to get billed at all?