cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are the road grades through Canada

LARuss
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska. We plan to travel through Banff and Jasper on the mountain route. We are going to buy a large fifth wheeler and a new truck and start fulltiming for a while. I have pulled travel trailers all over the country but have never traveled these roads. I am concerned about the grades on this trip and would appreciate any information anyone could give me.
21 REPLIES 21

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
There is a long grade of up to 6 or 7% going down to Saskatchewan river crossing from the Bow summit. There is a long and fairly steep pull up to Sunwapta pass (before Columbia icefields) going north then a steep downhill with a couple of sharp corners going down past Tangle creek. This might be up to 8%.

I wouldn't sweat the hills but would be sure to follow usual mountain technique ----- start down going slow, use your engine braking and a lower gear, brake to kill speed then let off to let brakes cool ---- repeat. Don't worry if there are people behind you as they will understand your safe driving with a trailer and people expect rv traffic on that route and are not normally on it to make time.

I agree with those who say it would be a shame to tow all the way up to Jasper from Banff without stopping to enjoy the area.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, the grades on the Alaska Highway and Banff-Jasper aren't challenging, we've been up the Alaska Highway (and over the Top of the World run from Dawson City into Alaska) a few times, last time right to the end of the Kenai peninsula with no difficulties. The road with the most "white knuckle" experience for us was hwy 99 in BC that goes from Whistler through Pemberton to Lillooet, it's a "brake smoker".

Be sure to spec your new truck so that you have good reserve capacity in terms of gross combined weight rating and you should be comfortable. Pulling a 5er with an under rated truck is no fun!

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I made that trip in 2011 and do not remember any steep grades. From Jasper I went west on 16 to 37, then north up the Cassiar Highway (37). Saw more bears on this highway than we did in all of Alaska. Came back on the Alaskan Highway. This was a very memorable trip.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
As others have noted, your route is not really "bad", just certainly "worse" they you might be used to.

Canada does allow steeper grades then the US. The Icefield Highway (Banff-Jasper), Coquihalla Highway (BC-5) and the Pacific Rim Highway (BC-4) all come right to mind. BC-4 was a short stretch at 18%, BC-5 at 12% with a continuous grade for 30KM
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't think of any steep grades and switch backs on the main routes through Banff/Jasper. The climb to Kicking Horse Pass on Hwy1 is barely noticeable when headed west. There is a broad loop on the 93, Icefields Parkway, as it climbs toward glacier stop, but that's not a switchback.

Sides roads to various sights have steeper grades, and one has real switch backs with a 27' length limit. But those are easily driven with the tow vehicle, while you leave the trailer back at camp.

Hwy 1 through Banff is the main TransCanada Hwy. Hwy 16 through Jasper is also a main cross country route. Right now both have avalanche problems in BC, and 1 was blocked in Canmore last summer due heavy rains and washouts. But normally those take full size truck traffic.

93 from Banff to Jasper is not open to through truck traffic, but is used by RVs of all sizes.

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
LARuss wrote:
My wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska. We plan to travel through Banff and Jasper on the mountain route. We are going to buy a large fifth wheeler and a new truck and start fulltiming for a while. I have pulled travel trailers all over the country but have never traveled these roads. I am concerned about the grades on this trip and would appreciate any information anyone could give me.

Howdy,

I have been on the road through the park between Banff and Jasper several times... and it is spectacular... the scenery is amazing. There are some pretty steep grades and a switch back. I have only been towing a 5th wheel for about year... and I would not want to just tow through the route without stopping to camp and exploring with just the TV. Not that it would be that difficult... I just wouldn't enjoy it as much... it's difficult to appreciate the scenery while all my attention is consumed by towing a large 5er. You could camp in the park and explore the routes with just your TV and better appreciate the area. Then tow over the pass or take a different route around the park if you desired.

The remainder of the route to AK on the AlCan is pretty easy. There are a few steep grades but very do able. The roughest section is between Destruction Bay, YT and the Alaska border. It is a frost heave nightmare. There are sections where I wouldn't tow at more then 10 mph. Lots of folks tow faster and will tell you otherwise. But IMO 5th wheels are not built to withstand that kind of punishment.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
There are not any that should stop you from pulling a 5th wheel all the way to Alaska and even over the TOW highway from Dawson City. Just my thoughts, Truck over most of the roads in N America with mh and etc.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.