cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 36 to Cameron MO from I 72 for big rigs?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a decent choice? Lots of construction showing on I 70. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
There's a lot of construction on I-435 just south of Worlds of Fun campground, I-435 & 210.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody! We are on 36w headed for 35s to Worlds of Fun RV park. Visiting Independence this time.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
WE-C-USA wrote:
Since you're coming from I-72, it's a great route. Straight shot across Missouri. There was some bridge work at 36 & I-35, at Cameron, a few weeks ago. No slow downs.
If you're still heading west, stay on 36 thru Kansas.

^^^^^ This. Excellent if you're also planning to cross Kansas.

In Missouri, it appears that WB is the "newer" section of US 36. As I recall, headed EB, the roadway has a lot of ups/downs, little hills here and there as the original roadway. When they expanded it to 4 lane, the WB section was newer, and it looks like they filled in a lot of those little up/down parts, making WB seem smoother. Either way, it's a good route to follow and as noted, there's small towns along the roadway, but not many that you actually have to go through.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
US36 across Missouri is our preferred route when we are headed that direction. Nice four lane road and bypasses the towns (but still easy to get off to a town if you want to). IMO the only thing keeping it from being part of the interstate system is there is not limited access.
And depending where you want to go, since we have to go through KC, we take I35 to MO 152, to I435 to I70. This keeps you out of most of the KC traffic if you need to get to the west side.

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Since you're coming from I-72, it's a great route. Straight shot across Missouri. There was some bridge work at 36 & I-35, at Cameron, a few weeks ago. No slow downs.
If you're still heading west, stay on 36 thru Kansas.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
highway 36 is a good road. there is a nice state park on 36 just north and a bit west of Macon, called Long Branch. Chillicothe is a nice fuel stop, etc. Cameron, too, and there is another nice state park just 5 miles south of 36 off I 35. Wallace, I think it is called.
You can get off I 35 at Kearney and go west on 92 to Smithville and then south on 169 to 435 and west on it, if you want to avoid Kansas City altogether. the road is not improved between Kearney and Smithville, two lane, no shoulders, etc. but it's a short piece of the whole. ๐Ÿ™‚
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I drove I-70 in August from I-64/US61 just west of StL over to I-435 around KC and didn't encounter any real bothersome construction, however the roads in the KC area are horrible and I thought I had damaged the wheels and suspension a couple of times, one being the ramp from I-64N onto I-70 west.

That being said, US 36 is four lane with semis, RV's cars and everything else and its no real issue, at various times in the past I have driven the full width of the state on US36, most recently in 2012.

I have never attempted to transit St Louis proper however. I am always coming from or headed to, I-24 in south Ill/KY/Tenn so I cross the river south of StL.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.