cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-20 Fort Worth to I-10 to I-8 San Diego

slotsavegas
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are looking for sights to see and places that just can't be missed on our first trip from Fort Worth, TX. to San Diego, CA.
If anyone has made the trip and found interesting sights within a few miles of the interstates, we would love to hear from you.
3 REPLIES 3

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Fort Worth to El Paso - not much near the interstate except at I-20 - Monahans Sandhills State Park and off I-10 - Davis Mountain State Park Or Balmorhea State Park. You could also work your way on state highways up to Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico.

Then from Las Cruces, NM and I-10 west City of Rocks State Park is scenic which is north of Deming.

Continuing into Arizona on I-10 you'll find lots more. From Willcox you could tour Chiricahua Nat'l Monument with fantastic rock formations. At Benson you could do Tombstone and Bisbee and also Kartchner Caverns State Park has a nice campground and awesome cave tours. Lots to do in Tucson.

Once you hit I-8 at Casa Grande, AZ there's not much to the California state line at Yuma. From there you might as well head straight to San Diego.

Interstates aren't real exciting and we try to drive the secondary roads. Have a good trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

leaddog
Explorer
Explorer
You cannot drive through Davis Monthan Airbase in Tucson. You can tour the Pima Air Museum and then take a bus tour of the boneyard. There is parking for your RV at the Pima Air Museum, but not overnight parking.

The Desert Museum, Old Tucson, in Tucson are neat to see. The Biosphere in nearby Oracle is great. Titan Missile Museum in Green Valley just south of Tucson is interesting.

Since your from Ft. Worth the heat shouldn't be that much of a problem. Keep in mind that it is a "dry heat".
2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
We're so old and jaded; quit sightseeing years ago, but---- Balmoreah(sp) near Ft Stockton is the huge natural springs that the Comanche indians frequented. That giant airbase in Tucson where they store thousands of surplus warplanes; you can drive through it; can probably tour it with the proper permission? Go over to Mexico at Algodones, just outside Yuma. Do NOT!! go into Mexico in Juarez, opposite El Paso. Extremely dangerous. Probably go up to the Salton Sea near El Centro, CA. Birds, etc. Think you can tour naval vessels in San Diego, with proper permission.

If you go in summer, it will be extremely hot most of the way. Not much fun to tour anything!!