cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-40 Condition - Little Rock, Ark to Memphis, Tenn

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Looks as if we may be traveling I-40 again from Little Rock,Arkansas to Memphis, Tennessee after having not traveled on it for two years.

Are there still a lot of potholes big enough to shake the fillings out of our teeth or has it been improved?

Post moved from TT Forum to Roads and Routes Forum

Moderator - TT Forum

23 REPLIES 23

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Only one stretch of the interstate just east or N Little Rock...about a 12 mile stretch...a few miles past the rest areas and the river bridge and things will smooth out. That small bit of highway is nothing as far as roughness is concerned to others...Stay in the left hand lane if it bothers you that much.

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
I-40 Westbound after you cross into Arkansas was rougher than a cob for about a mile if that far. After that stretch, construction was pretty much complete or of very little problem. We traveled I-40 westbound Sept. 4. We traveled I-40 Eastbound Sept. 19 still a little construction going on, but mostly finished or close to being finished. Hope this is helpful.

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I would bring this I-40 topic back to the top, as many RVers are traveling this portion of I-40 between Memphis, Tennessee and Little Rock Arkansas this time of the year as the leaves change their color.

Are there still closures or has construction been finished on this section?

Mike

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
I go through there a lot . Sometimes you can roll right through the construction east of Little Rock and sometimes it takes hours.

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone traveled this stretch of highway (Memphis to Little Rock) recently? If so, how was it?

towhead
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind slowing down to 55 and a few small towns, you should try hwy 70. It's a good smooth road with little traffic except where folks try to dodge construction on I40. I hate interstates anyway and never pull faster than 60 even when legal. For those westbound, To get through Little Rock though, get back on 40 at Galloway. It's pretty much smooth sailing then the rest of the way across Arkansas.
Dave
2005 GMC Duramax 4x4 crew cab
2005 Cruiser CF28RL

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
We just did this route last week heading east out of Little
Rock. There is some construction between LR and West Memphis but nothing to really complain about. Only one small stretch was it down to one lane. I did not encounter any problems. Hope you enjoy your trip.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be taking that route in a few days - hopefully someone will post recent experiences with the delays/route 70 detour.
2017 LTV Unity

Don_and_Eileen
Explorer
Explorer
We're heading out tomorrow from West Memphis to Lake Dardanelle (Little Rock area.) It sounds like we should try Highway 70. How would that be for a 38 ft. motorhome with a toad?
Don and Eileen

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. The eastbound route has been a lesser problem than westbound, IMO.

It is just the 85 mile stretch coming out of Memphis headed west to Little Rock that will shake the fillings out of your teeth, not to mention what it does to your travel trailer or fifth wheel.

As mentioned above, apparently it is under construction and being elevated, but just thought someone might have traveled it recently. I know some traffic has been rerouted to H. 70 which parallels I-40.

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
Gotcha, sorry I can't be much help. Our last trip over 40 was from Dallas east (I-30 to I-40) to Memphis. It was a couple of years ago, midnight, and I don't remember much. 🙂
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Our route will take us west from Memphis Tennessee to Texarkana, Texas. I-40 from Memphis to Little Rock has always been terrible towing a trailer.

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you going after you get to Memphis?

If you are going north on I-55 you can take 67 out of Little Rock to Poplar Bluff, MO where you can pick up US60.
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I would bring this thread back for any updates. Any more changes?