Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-40 EB Albuquerque, NM to Ft. Smith, AR road condition

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
Folks,

Planning a trip eastbound from Albuquerque, NM to Fort Smith, AR the first week in May. The last time we took this route westbound, four years ago the road was under construction in places the the rest was so rough it damaged our motorhome. Just wondering if any of you along this route could give me an update on whether it has been improved since. Was especially bad around Oklahoma City if I recall.

Thanks,

John
4 REPLIES 4

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
dbbls wrote:
Good or bad, what are the other options?

South to US-60 then east to where it crosses US-412, then US-412 into Arkansas, US-62 down, is one of the simpler routes to describe.

Another would be US-60 to US-270 to OK-33, which crosses south of Tulsa, joining US-64 directly to Fort Smith.

Compared to I-40, either will at least double your travel time, so you must consider why it is that you are avoiding the I-40.

All the Interstate highways from 20 north get torn up by freeze thaw, and all are beat apart by high speed heavy weight traffic. What was in good shape at the end of repairs in October can very well be rough again in March, and will once again be under construction in May or June.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Good or bad, what are the other options?
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
Your good just drove it last month.
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Its good to Tucumcari and couple years it was good from OKC to FT Smith never been on the other section
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel