cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-40 winter weather

soricobob
Explorer
Explorer
If you have plans to travel I-40 (Flagstaff) or I-17 (Flagstaff to the Valley), tonight or tomorrow (30th-31st), don't. Sounds bad.
11 REPLIES 11

RamblinManGA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi from AZ. . . we came I-40 from East to West on Jan 4 & 5 without a problem. Cold at night (16 in OKC) but no snow or rain. Ground was snow covered in TX, NM, & Northern AZ, but roads were dry. Even I-17 was dry ! NM,TX, & AZ have an app for smart phones on road conditions, & I used them. Key seems to be getting between storms. Weather app was helpful too. regards, Craig
Formerly 'Seahawk09'

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Drove 40 a couple years ago. Caught a large storm in western NM. made a planned stop in Gallup, NM at a motel. Next day drove through Flagstaff area and there was a good 2 feet of new snow. Roads were cleared by then.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Altitude is everything. Flagstaff, at 7,000 ft. ASL averages 11" of snow in December. Phoenix at 1100 ft. and 140 miles south, gets a dusting at most. I worked with a guy that went to college in Flagstaff. He and his buddies hopped in a car and drove to Phoenix on weekends, rented a motel room and hung around the pool until Monday.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most of Arizona awoke to a nice blanket of snow. While the higher elevations were buried with a foot or more even the Sonoran Desert regions pick up an inch or two. This is a shot of our front yard (we are at 3,400' about 25 miles north of Tucson):

In a typical winter we will see this sort of thing once or twice and always enjoy it. A couple of inches is not enough to shovel and certainly presents no problems for travel but it is beautiful. It was 31 degrees this morning at eight but we will be back in the 70's in a few days.

:B

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
Snow will melt soon after it hits the ground. Couple inches of snow wouldn't get on wx report in WY. :Z

Not interested in WYOMING!! Has nothing to do with the OP's subject. Anyway - Prediction is for 16-18 inches in parts of that country!
Thanks for the posting Sorico

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
WyoTraveler wrote:
Snow will melt soon after it hits the ground. Couple inches of snow wouldn't get on wx report in WY. :Z

High temp in Flagstaff tomorrow is 27 with a low of 13. Thursday is 27/8. Not very conducive for melting as it hits the ground.

Wow! 13 above. Brrrrrr!. We have 11 below.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:

High temp in Flagstaff tomorrow is 27 with a low of 13. Thursday is 27/8. Not very conducive for melting as it hits the ground.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer

deputybubba
Explorer
Explorer
so sadly already have reservations for wed. night...
anyone know if they reduce I-17 to chains or 4x4 only still ?
I haven't paid attention for years and don't know what they do now...
I'm 'hoping' they keep it plowed and I will make a slow drive in the early afternoon.
Thanks

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
damn, i'm going to miss all that stuff down here in mazatlan, mexico.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
This will be a powerful fast moving front(even Vegas is expecting a couple inches of snow), dropping down into Arizona. Travel in the northern half of the state will be dicey.

They are calling for snow as low as 2,500' here in Tucson for Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Fortunately it won't last long and our temps shouldn't get below the upper 20's. I'll be enjoying the high of 66 this afternoon out on the golf course or in the pool.
Winter in Arizona.... ya gotta love it!

:B