Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-75 closed in TN

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I-75 closed both directions until 3/24

Please read to the bottom, which gives the exact location of the detour. The detour roads are narrow rural roads not suited to big rigs. Alternative routes suggested.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
45 REPLIES 45

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
No problem with the tunnel height. I believe it is so tall it doesn't even have the height shown. You do not need to turn off the propane for an RV. I found this out one time when I stopped to turn it off and one of the tunnel personnel informed me of the rule. Also there are no signs for turning off propane.

One reason for this is the tunnel is at the top of the hill, so propane will just roll down the hill and exit the tunnel. Most of the other tunnels go down and the propane will gather in the bottom of the tunnels creating the explosive concern.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Rhyph
Explorer
Explorer
What's the clearance height on the Cumberland Gap tunnel? No issues with 5th wheels going through carrying propane (assuming it's turned off)?
2016 Heartland Road Warrior 420
2014 Ram 3500 CC DRW 4x4 Longhorn

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The local news here tonight said there has been numerous accidents on the detour routes. People are losing it having to go so slow and are doing very dumb things. The traffic of course, is extremely heavy on these roads, which were not designed to handle such a glut of cars, people are not playing nice with the other detourists ( yep, I made that word up).

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
TN is usually pretty good at their schedules and hit the dates over 90% of the time. Also, there is a very large incentive to open before those dates.

With my daughter directly involved in the process, it's very interesting seeing all of what must transpire from concept to completion. Amazing that anything gets done in a timely manner. But it is very surprising they can get the survey, design, and contract awarded in less than 72 hours of the incident, especially considering 48 of those hours were on the weekend.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
....schedule.....

LOL... They just got started. They're guessing.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Announcement for the contract was awarded today which includes schedule of re-opening.

The contract also stipulates the southbound lanes of I-75 will be reopened within 14 days and one lane on the northbound side will be reopened within 21 days. The entire repair project is scheduled to be complete on or before April 15, 2016. - See more at: http://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/37913#sthash.eszsHhHr.dpuf

Both sides are closed due to the chance of falling rocks. South side has had some very close calls with rocks damaging the guard rail between the North and South bound lanes.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely 25E through Cumberland Gap if heading to NC or even the Pigeon Forge area. 33 to Knoxville out of Tazewell. 25E is good road. Latest is 75 may be closed till mid April.....or longer.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Both state detours are going to suck! Those roads are curvy and everyone is going to be going that way. Trust me I ride motorcycles up there all the time. Stay away!!!!!

To get to Knoxville TN take 25E in Corbin KY down to Hwy 33 in Tazewell. Follow 33 into Knoxville.

If heading to NC. Get off 75 in Corbin KY and take 25E to interstate 81 south. Then back onto interstate 40 east.

If going to west side of Knoxville take hwy 92 in Williamsburg KY to Hwy 27 south. Follow 27 south to Wartburg TN. In wartburg take 62 south into Oak Ridge. Through Oak Ridge to HWY 162 that will drop you back on 75 south on the west side of Knoxville.

These directions are way better than going the states detours! Check it out on a map!!

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Thanks for the "head's up!" We were planning on driving I-75 this coming Saturday. Going from Cincinnati and hitting I-40 at Knoxville, east to Ashville, NC, and South into Georgia. I was really looking forward to driving that stretch of I-40 again! It's been a few years.

Take 25E in Corbin KY through Tazewell TN all the way to Interstate 81. Then 81 south to 40 east.

GO AROUND!!!!

Stop here and have a look. Great view!! :
https://foursquare.com/v/veterans-overlook/4dc169b3d22da015334e9421

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
Looks like they could use the other side for two way traffic.

One side has rocks on it (and falling). The other side is in danger of sliding down the slope. Neither side is usable.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

KenMast
Explorer
Explorer
I was planning to use I-75 this Saturday from Chattanooga to Cincinnati. I'm going to change my route to go thru Nashville and Louisville. Adds about 1 1/2 hours to the trip. There are pictures online of truckers getting hung up on tight winding roads on the suggested detour routes. Also a TDOT guy saying that the detour roads has soft shoulders and are old and not built for big rigs. I'd rather stick to the interstates.
2015 Class C Thor Four Winds 31L. Toad is a 2012 Chevy Equinox.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems to be the year for rockslides.

Idaho 14 to Elk City was covered by one in the middle of February. A highway crew was nearby and took a video of the beginning.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/state/idaho/article61300727.html

http://www.ktvb.com/news/local/idaho/detour-route-allows-limited-elk-city-access/50988123

A limited use detour over a snow covered forest service road was cleared after 5 days.

Washington I5 had one near Portland, though I think that only affected one side. Washington US2 east of the Columbia River also had a large one that blocked the highway for several weeks.

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. We will make other plans. I marvel at the engineering that put these roads through the mountains in the first place, much less maintain them.

Kohldad...keep her nose to the grindstone!!!
Summer is coming!
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like they could use the other side for two way traffic.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the "head's up!" We were planning on driving I-75 this coming Saturday. Going from Cincinnati and hitting I-40 at Knoxville, east to Ashville, NC, and South into Georgia. I was really looking forward to driving that stretch of I-40 again! It's been a few years.