cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I guess I'm showing my age......

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Is there anyone else that just can't get into using trip planning software when wanting to map out a trip? Ok, I use my garmin, and I use google maps to get from point A to point B, but when taking a roadtrip and wanting to see what is off the main roads, etc... I just find that for me, to have a good ol fold up paper map / road atlas is better....
Proud father of a US Marine
28 REPLIES 28

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
While I definitely qualify as a Geezer, I have been a navigator for much of both my career and my life. Would I start an excursion without paper charts (maps)? No (expletive deleted) Way.....

But, as I sit here (DW is driving), we are only running three of the six GPS onboard. There is a new Garmin on the dash for DW confirmation and speed. There is my smartphone that is running track and traffic (we just passed through Dallas) and being a hotspot. Then there is this laptop that is working the group and SA (Street Atlas) with a BU353 (USB GPS)to tell the computer where we are right now.

The entirety of this excursion was laid out in January. It will be approximately 3200 miles. Why approximately? Because, our actual route can change on at a moment's notice. But all along the way, SA is telling me when to get Gasbuddy to look for fuel and where we should be finding somewhere to stop for the night.

Do I enjoy having the navigational stress unloaded? You Betcha... At the same time, am I ready to grab the paper charts and atlas do this my self if it is required. Already this trip, I had the smartphone crash and only recently got the majority of its functions (not all) back on line. But, as a mariner, I am always ready for any part to go TU and then I have to do my job.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
"Never leave home without it!" ... Detailed map of Indiana with all the county roads in detail, and a paper Rand McNalley Road Atlas. I use a Tom Tom and have Navigation on my phone. But nothing beats paper.

You are NOT alone! (I'm an old fart now!)

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling with my parents, the ride in the Winnie could get pretty boring. The map was something interesting to look at... seeing our progress and looking at surrounding towns and highways kept me occupied. I still have a fondness for paper maps today.

However, there's nothing better for calculating trip distance than an online mapper; I prefer yahoo maps. And the gps is a comfort in city navigation.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
My GPS is akin to watching a sporting event through a drinking straw. My atlas gives me a feel for where I am in the world.

Couldn't have said it better. In just a car a GPS is fine, especially if it's an onboard nav. We always had both trucker's and road atlases in the MH. The GPS was the addition to that although we didn't rely that heavily on it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
I have an RV atlas and a truckers atlas. I use them and the Good Sam trip router to plan my trip as far as route and distance each day goes. When on the road I love my 7" Garmin especially when on an Interstate with many lanes and unpredictable exits. Some are to the left, some to the right and its no fun to wait to the last second and have to cross several lanes in a panic. I load the GPS with all the likely RV stops, including addresses and phone numbers so its easy for the DW to call for reservations and easy to find the park in bad weather or after dark. As far as side trips or points of interest, I google whatever city and usually get a fairly long list of what to see or do.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
Shot-N-Az wrote:
My GPS is akin to watching a sporting event through a drinking straw. My atlas gives me a feel for where I am in the world.

X2. I use MS Streets and Trips for my planning. I like the gps for finding specific locations and arrival times. Bur the straw analogy is right on and the map is my first choice for traveling.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
No program or gps got me from southern Indiana to southern Ca. in '67. or from there to Charleston,S.C. in '70. So I still don't use them for trips.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from the store...I got the 2014 rand mcnally road atlas.... Oh boy... Let the fun begin
Proud father of a US Marine

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Other than the handheld Delorme PN-60 handheld for hiking/geocaching, etc, we picked up a Garmin car GPS a couple years back. First order of business: MUTE.
It's good to see the distance traveled & distance/time to destination if we choose one. It's also nice in urban areas off the freeways where we've never been to, and when we are trying to get to an urban/suburban location.
However, it is a guide, nothing more. It is not the end all, and paper maps are always our constant companion. We have Delorme map books for the entire western US; our Oregon copy was so well used we replaced it.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
Great post and great replies!

I use internet maps for trip planning, and refer to paper maps for more detailed planning. On the road we use paper maps, supplemented by the GPS to tell us about upcoming turns, distance to destination, etc. We use the GPS locally to find groceries, gas stations, attractions, etc.

I use the AAA state maps, since there I can quickly tell if a road is 2 or 4 lane. I use the truckers atlas as a sanity check on where I might not want to navigate the 5er.

I LOVE MAPS!! So much so that I ended up in making software for making maps as a career. Things have really changed since those first automated maps of the mid 1970s.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maps, point my nose and where ever GF wants to go.

Miss Garmin......she put us on couple of deadend roads, roads that turned into a pipe line road and once into a cemetery.
She is gagged, tied and stuffed in a bag.

Besides her sarcastic voice was too much to take........'Recalculating, Recalculating, RECALCULATING!" Shut up!!!!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
GPS, Google, etc. are nice tools to assist the map.
I always have maps, their batteries don't go dead and they always have reception. 🙂

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use maps, DW uses gps to find the next cracker barrel.

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shot-N-Az wrote:
Well put.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8