cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interstate rest area stops

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Is it legal to camp overnight at a rest area connected to an interstate? Most likely in Kentucky along I 75.
46 REPLIES 46

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

No, not really, or at least not in my case.

Iโ€™m currently based out of the Toronto area but travel at least once a month in one of my M/Hโ€™s for sort of business (paid hobby / passion truth be known) and so for probably half the year Iโ€™m travelling several days before I get to an area where there are C/Gโ€™s open even IF I wanted to stay there.

I say โ€œifโ€ because I couldnโ€™t bring myself to bother a bunch of people on vacation and trying to enjoy themselves and relax pulling in at near midnight and pulling back out at zero-dark-thirty in the morning. I also donโ€™t see much reason to pay for a bunch of amenities or services Iโ€™ll never use.

OP, I just spent a night at the Sudbury Rest Area just east of Nairn Center on my home from the Soo last week and did so because Jeremyโ€™s was jammed full of trucks.

Do you not see the contradiction in your statements? You said that truck drivers (who usually have little control over when/where they are routed, and have legal requirements for when they need to take breaks) should have no need to sleep in a rest area, but because of when you drive for your hobby, you have no choice but to stop at a rest area since the truck stop was already "jammed full of trucks".

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have used rest areas for rest stops and even napped and not had any problem with LEOs. Truckers need the big parking slots and certainly need to use them when the time comes.

That said, I have seen RVers parked in the late evenings with a slide out along with folding chairs and a grill going. Don't know they were going to overnight, but the signs were there. They were parked across the car slots so the slide and awning was against the curb. That is "camping" in my opinion.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
rlw999 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I hope VA troopers aren't still ordering OTR truck drivers to violate the federal hours of service rules. Since the introduction of electronic logging, they have little choice on where they stop for the mandatory rest periods.

They have all sorts of choices, UNLESS, they drive until the very last minute then say theyโ€™re โ€œforcedโ€ to sleep on the shoulder of an off-ramp.

Routes and facilities along any route anywhere in North America are well documented, the only reason to have โ€œlittle choiceโ€ is because they chose to drive beyond all the good choices.

Doesn't that apply equally so (or even more so) to RV'ers? There are lots of places they can stay, and (most) RVers have much more control over their schedule than truck drivers. So if truck drivers have lots of better choices than rest areas, then RV'ers have even more choices, so there's no need to overnight in a rest area?

No, not really, or at least not in my case.

Iโ€™m currently based out of the Toronto area but travel at least once a month in one of my M/Hโ€™s for sort of business (paid hobby / passion truth be known) and so for probably half the year Iโ€™m travelling several days before I get to an area where there are C/Gโ€™s open even IF I wanted to stay there.

I say โ€œifโ€ because I couldnโ€™t bring myself to bother a bunch of people on vacation and trying to enjoy themselves and relax pulling in at near midnight and pulling back out at zero-dark-thirty in the morning. I also donโ€™t see much reason to pay for a bunch of amenities or services Iโ€™ll never use.

OP, I just spent a night at the Sudbury Rest Area just east of Nairn Center on my home from the Soo last week and did so because Jeremyโ€™s was jammed full of trucks.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
This topic is always so much Fun.....if you are tired, falling asleep at the wheel tired, I don't care if your in an RV or an OTR truck....use the Rest Area....that's what they are for. No one has any specific right to their exclusive use. I've heard all the arguments on how truckers pay higher highway taxes....sure they do but find me a stretch of road that's not tore up!! Once again, if you need rest, use the Rest Area! Imho????
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I hope VA troopers aren't still ordering OTR truck drivers to violate the federal hours of service rules. Since the introduction of electronic logging, they have little choice on where they stop for the mandatory rest periods.

They have all sorts of choices, UNLESS, they drive until the very last minute then say theyโ€™re โ€œforcedโ€ to sleep on the shoulder of an off-ramp.

Routes and facilities along any route anywhere in North America are well documented, the only reason to have โ€œlittle choiceโ€ is because they chose to drive beyond all the good choices.

Doesn't that apply equally so (or even more so) to RV'ers? There are lots of places they can stay, and (most) RVers have much more control over their schedule than truck drivers. So if truck drivers have lots of better choices than rest areas, then RV'ers have even more choices, so there's no need to overnight in a rest area?

dedmiston
swimmer_spe wrote:
OP here...

This post was not about truckers or their rest times. This is about an RV parking. This is an RV forum.

OP is right. Let's respect this please.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
OP here...

This post was not about truckers or their rest times. This is about an RV parking. This is an RV forum.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Somebody has never did any real wheel time. Before I retired, if I planned so spend the night in a truckstop that had parking for 50 trucks, and 52 others made similar plans, somebody lost out. Now I had the freedom to turn down any load that I had to run right to limit to make money. And, as long as the lie book looked right for inspection, a few miles to the next safe place was not a issue. (I tried to start early enough so I was parked by 3:30, 4 PM, and have another hour of legal driving left when got to planed stop. But when I sold out, there where a lot of company's trucks that take over, shut down. That with a management idea driver must run right to limit to afford to haul cheap rates, (Yes driver paid by mile, sees a pay cut if stops too early) I can understand how driver might have to stop in less than ideal location.
I often wondered what would happen if I pulled into a KOA, about 8 PM, left at 6:15 after I did my pre-trip.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

JaxDad,
There is a problem that you seem to have missed. While I could plan a day that well, and this was back in the pencil and log book days, there is the very real issue of being stuck on the road by circumstances beyond the driver's control until your cab-time runs out.
I very nearly got hung up it that one when I was driving in the megopolis of the east coast.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We are travelers. We have a Class A that is on the small side. We use highway rest areas as a last resort, there are many better places to get a nights rest.

The app "RVParky" is a good start. I don't know how big your rig is, but if you can maneuver it well you have lots of choices. There are many large lots available at night. One thing that works real well is to go in to a store and ask the manager if when you get done shopping, you can stay the rest of the night. They may ask you to go to a special section of the lot. It is rare that this is refused. If it is refused, go to another and shop there.

This has worked well for us in decades of travel and lots of miles in a clean but antique Class A.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I am on the I-5 corridor in Roseburg, Oregon. The rest areas here are full of trucks. There is not a space for a recreational vehicle. This includes the entrance and exit ramps.
It is really a pain when you need to use the facilities.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
What is the thought of law officers or rest stop employees of RVs using the car area rather than the truck and trailer area to rest. It makes no sense to have a full lot in one and a near empty lot in the other.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to thank the state of Iowa, I think they have the best rest stops along I-80. We have slept at them many of times.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Visited an uncle in New York State a few years ago and his neighbor was a Police Officer who came by to say hi. He asked me where I stayed at night when I was on the road, and I told him I pulled into Rest Areas for a few hours of sleep. He told me it was illegal to camp in New York Rest Areas and I told him I didn't have any beer in the camper and camping without beer was just sleeping outside. The next evening he stopped by with a couple of cold beers.