cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Johnson's Canyon Campground Banff

cpurves
Explorer
Explorer
Who's been to Johnson's canyon campground?
We would like to stay there this summer but the info says max 27 feet
We are 37 ft. 5'r. I have been in some provincial sites that said max 25 feet and we fit. Our backend hangs over the end of the campsite but tires are still on the pad.
Are the sites that tight there or are there some we might fit into?
Would the staff let us try or just say no way?
Thanks for any help
Chris
Old dog learning new tricks.

GMC 3500 crewcab longbox 4x4 duramax
Cougar 310SRX - we use the toyhauler for our photo equip
www.photos-now.ca
7 REPLIES 7

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
cpurves wrote:
Bummer. I guess we will stay in Banff and drive up.
Thanks for the help everyone.
You can also drive down to Johnston Canyon from Lake Louise CG. Long, pull-through sites with no access problems at all. The double sites (side-by-side with hookups on the outside) have W/E hookups and lots of trees. Only problem is the noise from the trains on the Canadian Pacific mainline between Calgary and Vancouver as they head up Kicking Horse Pass.

Lots to do and see in Lake Louise. If you stay there, be sure to take a side trip over the pass to Takakkaw Falls. And, if you like trains, the Spiral Tunnels are quite a feat of engineering and fun to watch the trains disappearing and reappearing at different elevations.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
At Johnstone in Sept 2015, 34ft trailer, 53ft overall with Excursion. There are a fair amount of sites that were large enough for us. We were in the eastern loop, not sure of site #, 77 or 78. The other 2 loops were closed that time of year, so did not drive them!! The roads are narrow, and there a couple of tight spots between trees, that we had to very carefully slip through!! I'd be hesitant with a very large 5th on the tight corners.

Our site the morning of Sept 15, 2015:

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

cpurves
Explorer
Explorer
Bummer. I guess we will stay in Banff and drive up.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Old dog learning new tricks.

GMC 3500 crewcab longbox 4x4 duramax
Cougar 310SRX - we use the toyhauler for our photo equip
www.photos-now.ca

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Johnston
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven thru CG without TT and would not try it. As others have said, it is tight.

EK_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there a few years ago with our 26ft trailer. Some sites will be long enough for your unit but the narrow roads may be a problem. The site we were in was on a shallow angle to the road but the trees don't allow for a lot of maneuvering space.

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
We've been there. There are a few sites where you might fit, but the access road has some pretty tight corners. Also, the road isn't very wide so maneuvering into the sites may not be possible.

Looking at your picture in your sig and factoring in the above comments, I'd say you have a VERY low chance of making it in there and getting a spot.

You can look at the roads and access in Google Earth Streetview.