cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KC to Rio Grand Valley

LindaS
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking for a route from KC to Alamo, TX that bypasses Dallas. Has anyone tried going I-49 to Carthage, then I-44 to Hwy 69. Then jumping on Indian Nation Turnpike from McAlester to Hugo, then 271 thru Paris and Tyler. Then south on 69 out of Tyler down to 79 over to Cameron and Hwy 77. South out of Cameron on Hwy 77 into Harlingen, then west on 83. It looks to add about 60 miles, but might be a time and headache saver. Has anyone tried this route or something similar?
Fred and Linda Sauer
2004 Forest River Reflection 38 ft, 2-slides
2007Honda CRV Tow Vehicle
Spencer, 8 yr old Miniature long-hair Dachshund Rescue Dog
14 REPLIES 14

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
That sounds encouraging, Frank. I may try that route next time.

Just an aside: I've been going up to Fayetteville for almost 60 years. The freeway from Fort Smith to Fayetteville has made more difference than almost any other interstate--over the pre-interstate route. I always enjoyed driving through the Boston Mountains, but it was slow going. What a difference!

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
padredw, You have just stated all the reasons why, I don't take your route. I will still do the 'western' AR route coming and going. It seems to improve every year.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
will be following my own advice today. Leaving from Branson, going over to I-49 at Fayetteville, down to Fort Smith, then US 59 to US 259 through the Ouchica Mountains and home.

Left Branson at 8:30, got home at 3:47 pm.

I would like to revise my suggestion above with some comments.

Yes, this is the way I would go again, but then I live on US 259. I still think it is better than to go down through Western Arkansas, but I haven't done that in a long time. Maybe those roads have improved.

>Unfortunately, US 59/259 in Oklahoma has deteriorated rather than improved. Through East Texas US 259 is a great highway, 4 lane most of the way and even a wide divided highway. Not so in
Oklahoma.

>Down near the Red River, below Idabel, the road is narrow and has NO shoulder at all. This section is in bad need of updating.

>US 259 through the Ouchita Mountains is definitely curvy and steep in places. I have a pretty high tolerance for mountain driving as I have been all over New Mexico and Colorado. But I know that not everyone would share this tolerance.

For me, this is still the best route. We made good time towing our 34' fifth-wheel, but I felt I should update my comments as others may have better alternatives.

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
We avoid I-35 for any travel going north or south. Here is what we usually do for a peaceful ride. Here is the south route--reverse for north route.
I-49 south to I-44.
I-44 to US 281.
US281 south to the valley.
Yes, there are small towns, but there are several nice RV parks to stay in. Yes it is a bit longer but I am retired--don't need a hassle--we usually drive no more that 300 miles per day.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I will be following my own advice today. Leaving from Branson, going over to I-49 at Fayetteville, down to Fort Smith, then US 59 to US 259 through the Ouchica Mountains and home.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Back to my earilier post. I woud not go down thorugh Arkansas from Fort Smith. I would go over into Oklahoma (don't have a map before me) but through Potaeu and pick up US 259 near Heavner, Oklahoma. Yes the roads are curvy and through the mountains, but we have pulled our 34' trailer several time and always enjoyed the drive. The colors should be nearing peak next week.

In my opinion, this is much better route than down through Arkansas.

If you have any questions about this route, I'll be glad to respond.

LindaS
Explorer
Explorer
Frank, I guess I'm not seeing how 271 goes from Fort Smith to DeQueen. I see on the map where it heads south out of Fort Smith, but it doesn't end up in DeQueen.
Fred and Linda Sauer

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Linda, No it isn't. I-49 goes from KC to Ft. Smith AR. Then you hit US71 to DeQueen. We go this way, with our 5th wheel w/boat in tow. Been doing it for 12+ yrs. You may be thinking of the old 71, that goes over the Boston Mountains. You won't have any trouble with this route.
Frank & PJ

LindaS
Explorer
Explorer
Frank and PJ - isn't I-49 / 71 through the Ouachita National Forest too narrow / windy / hilly for a 38 ft RV towing a car?
Fred and Linda Sauer

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
271 thru Paris and Tyler. Then south on 69 out of Tyler down to 79 over to Cameron and Hwy 77. South out of Cameron on Hwy 77 into Harlingen, then west on 83.

I think this would be an excellent choice. I live in East Texas and am familiar with every mile of the route above. It not only avoids Dallas/Fort Worth, but also Austin and San Antonio. I have found Austin to be the city I most want to avoid traveling through.

I will mention one other possibility because that is the route we would take through Oklahoma. Stay on down to Fayetteville and Fort Smith then pick up US 259 all the way to Henderson, Texas then join US 79 as above.

A variation on the US 259 route would be to take TX 155 near Ore City (where we live) and go through Gilmer to Tyler and on to Palestine, Texas where you would pick up US 79.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend just about any route that avoids I35 for a while. The traffic is crazy as always. But the construction around Lorena and Temple literally brings traffic to a stop. We just came through there Sunday and we had over two hours of delays. And we jumped off to the frontage road and a side road as soon as we got close to an exit to go around the jam. Definitely wears on the nerves.

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Linda, that's close to the way we go to the valley. Except, we take I-49 & 71 all the way to DeQueen AR, then AR-14 to I-30 at New Boston TX. Then get on 271 at Mt. Pleasant.
Frank & PJ

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
I saved this from an earlier poster to get around Dallas...
Take I-35 South to Gainesville exit 497, for FM 51 South (on right), take all the way thru Weatherford, Texas. Just south of Weatherford (3 miles south of I-20), veer left on TX 171 towards Cleburne, Texas, take to US 67 towards Alvarado (follow signs as this is a strange exit) until you intersect I-35W South, go South towards Waco to junction US 77 South (on the South side of Waco), stay on 77 all the way to Sinton, Texas then left on TX 35 thru Gregory to Aransas Pass over the bridge to Port Aransasโ€ฆ550 miles and the only traffic is near Hillsboro to Waco. Easy drive and have experienced it several timesโ€ฆ

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The only bypass I would do is I-35W thru Ft Worth instead of I-35E thru Dallas. I know people hate traffic, but I would rather spend 30-45 minutes thru the Dallas/Ft Worth area than hours changing multiple highways thru a multitude of small towns.