cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Labrador Highway

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
Did anyone made a trip on the Labrador Highway in 2013? If so, can you tell me what progress they made on the new construction project, and in your opinion, how much do you think will be completed in 2014.

I am planning on taking it in 2015 in a 40' motorhome.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.
19 REPLIES 19

Neal47
Explorer
Explorer
We drove this route in 2013. Do a search for" Trans Labrador highway" for our report. It was an adventure and fun.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Mabar, it would be a wonderful thing if you could list the mile markers of unpaved sections through Quebec and Labrador...I started and then lost control...

And, I am sure more has been done or will be done since we have been through:)

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Why thank you!

We had a fabulous time and loved the boondocking opportunities there.
In 2015 we will again make the trip and go maybe two weeks earlier and add on a loop around Nova Scotia before going over to Newfoundland. We will not do Labrador again until they've paved it all...understanding that we would still have to tolerate the Quebec portion that is unpaved. Last time I checked there were no solid plans on paving that (timelines).

Gaspe' is on our list too...just to spend a week or so with New Brunswick...not sure when that will happen though...so please eyeball boondocking possibilities for us:B We are in a 25 foot class C with no toad.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Dcason, just want to say how enjoyable your blog is - I read the NL section. Brought back memories of Newfoundland in 2012.

We're going up to the Gaspesie this summer if all goes well. Writing down that bakery info - cheese bread sounds great - and will bring our French translator.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, Lonnie, my concern for you would be for the Quebec portion from Baie Comeau to Lab City. Those trucks are cruising and there is little room to pull over...pull over too far and the gravel is soft. When we did it in 2013 the vast majority of the trucks just happen to be coming north from Baie Comeau to Lab City...pure dumb luck on our part...while we were going south.

The person doing the road this year should be very helpful to you...another perspective.

You will be fine going slow on the Labrador parts.

Donna

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
Thank mabar.

Please consider posting the road conditions after your trip this year. It is on our schedule for 2015. Planning on about 12 to 15 days in Labrador before crossing over into Newfoundland. We don't travel to far or to fast. Have plenty of time to take it slow and easy.

When we find a scenic spot we like to spend a few days, get out our recliners, put up our feet, read, and relax.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

marbar
Explorer
Explorer
We have done the trip from Windsor Ontario up through Quebec into Labrador and stayed at the Manic V overnight and enjoyed the trip right through to Goose Bay/ Happy Valley where we caught the Coastal Ferry down to Cartwright and on to Newfoundland in 2001, Went back up the reverse from home through the Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia, Basq Ferry ( 5 and 1/2 hour boat ride) to Newfoundland and crossed at Red Bay to the mainland Labrador another hour and 1/2 on the ferry.. We then drove the new road ( since 2009 ) to Cartwright and St. Mary. The road was gravel and again like someone said, slow is the key but when we got to Cartwright we found the ferry was not in service yet due to "growlers" small icebergs were late leaving and this was the first 3 weeks of June that we were there.. The road from Cartwright to Goose Bay was not finished at that time.There was a barrier up with the proposed finish date. We are told it is finished now , actually the end date was 2012. We are leaving this summer, first week of July, to do the trip up through Quebec, Labrador and drive down the NEW road to Red Bay and ferry over to Newfoundland again. BTW, we drive a Roadtrek and find it has no problem on those roads. I don't know what a big A would be like

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Lonnie, not sure if you have looked at this site but I see you like icebergs like my hubby.

Iceberg Finder

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
You're welcome. Of course, I recall your name, but you're right, I don't always remember who asks questions about what part of the country. But I want all to have a good trip.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit

Thanks for the input. You may not remember but you provided quite a bit of info for my 2007 Newfoundland visit.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
West Texas, Retired

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
lonnie4801 wrote:
Since we want to return to Newfoundland for another visit, and I would like to tour the power plant, we feel this will be the best route.

Check my photos in my signature. I toured power plant facilities in the Manic II and V, as well as Churchill Falls. You should. Yes, tours are en francais, but they give you an English text to take with you. Yes, I have some French, but still I think seeing is worth it, very much worth it.

Manic V

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby wanted to see power plant but it was closed and but they did give him a summary of what it was all about...definetly not the same as a tour. The previous summer it was closed for tours for about 4 weeks so I hope you get to see it.

With a phone call you MAY be able to find how much has been paved and it would be up-to-date.

Georgous scenery:)

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks dcason. That is what I was looking for.

Gravel roads are not a problem for driving as long as there are not long stretches of washboard. I drive the road condition, not the speed limit, and I have never found the road condition of a gravel road to dictate exceeding the speed limit.

When driving on gravel roads I ALWAYS pull over and stop when meeting a truck, and slow down to 5-10 mph when meeting a car. In 3 trips to Alaska, including driving the motorhome up the Dalton Hwy twice to Coldfoot, the pickup 3 times to Deadhorse, and the pickup one time up the Dempster Hwy, and many miles on other gravel roads in Canada and Alaska, I have never has a broken windshield. That is because I stop for the trucks.

I have had broken windshields but they have always been on major paved highways.

It is my observation that trucks coming towards you cannot throw a rock up into your windshield. The truck throws up the rock and you drive into it. So if you are stopped, no broken windshield.

Also, I am retired and not in a rush. I have no problem with 20 and 30 mph on gravel roads. Since we want to return to Newfoundland for another visit, and I would like to tour the power plant, we feel this will be the best route.

Thanks again for the info and the blog.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
West Texas, Retired

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
When I did in 2006, the speed limit was 70 km which is less than 45 mph and I didn't want to go that fast.

Frankly, I think you can enjoy more, if you drive more slowly.