cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Laramie to GTNP: US 191 or US 287?

texasAUtiger
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for input on getting from Laramie, WY to Colter Bay RV Park in Grand Teton National Park towing a 30 ft TT.

via US 287:
https://goo.gl/maps/UESNzDBn2tD2

via US 191:
https://goo.gl/maps/E1byVzxHdcp

Interested in pros, cons, experiences with each.

Any good one night overnight stops for each?

Thanks!
Dad, Mom, and two young kids
2015 Keystone Bullet 272BHS
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat SuperCrew, PSD 6.7
Husky Centerline TS hitch
9 REPLIES 9

GreenSalsa
Explorer
Explorer
I *LOVE* the search feature in this forum--Just letting thanking the OP and everyone for answering my question (even before I knew I needed it)!

We should be traveling this route in June 2016.
GreenSalsa lives in North Carolina, but dreams of life on the road...

tfdcc
Explorer
Explorer
We were just there last week from Oklahoma. I drove 191 up there and 287 coming back, both very good roads. I was pulling a 36ft fifth wheel. Only drawback I saw was going through Jackso, a few tight blocks but that was it. We stayed at the Colter Bay RV village and loved it, beautiful area and good camp sites.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
jrp wrote:
They are both good roads, Wy does a great job taking care of their secondary roads.
If I'm coming from the west, I use 191. If I'm coming from the east I use 287. From Laramie its only going to be a 5 hr drive up 287 to the Tetons. If that's my destination, I don't need an overnight stop. But the Wind River Range is a great spot to explore and camp. Its trails & campgrounds are accessible either from Lander off 287 or Pinedale off 191.

I'll second the Advice to head into the Wind River Range if you have the chance - we try to do the drive from Shoshoni to Thermopolis any time we are in the area - Nice little park on the South End of the Wind River Canyon, so you could stay there make the drive and explore - one of the things often missed when visiting YNP and the Tetons are the Surrounds - IMHO they are filled with great drives and Hikes.

No wrong choices - and if you have the time do BOTH just so much to see and do.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
I would take the 287 route if only for the view you get of the Tetons as you come down the pass. Try to make it in the morning so the sun is behind you and the air is clearer.

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
They are both good roads, Wy does a great job taking care of their secondary roads.
If I'm coming from the west, I use 191. If I'm coming from the east I use 287. From Laramie its only going to be a 5 hr drive up 287 to the Tetons. If that's my destination, I don't need an overnight stop. But the Wind River Range is a great spot to explore and camp. Its trails & campgrounds are accessible either from Lander off 287 or Pinedale off 191.
Jim

Sluggo54
Explorer
Explorer
I'm partial to the US26/US287 route. From Laramie, at the west end of town turn off I-80 onto WY 130. It's a beautiful ride across the Snowy Range to Centennial. On the west side of the range, the road turns north and passes through Saratoga, then connects up with I-80. From there you can take either route, but US 287 is an interesting ride. You will pass through Rawlins, Lander, and Dubois, then over Togwotee Pass. Beautiful views of the Tetons as you come down the west side of the pass.
If you are hungry in Rawlins, try Buck's Bar and Grill downtown at 401 W Cedar. In Lander, there is the Gannett Grill at 126 Main. In Dubois, the Cowboy Cafe on E Ramshorn. Town's too small to miss it.
Fuel in Dubois. That's it til Jackson.
DH = Bruce, DW = PK, DD = Maggie (Lab, Pointer, Viszla)RIP 4/13/2007
Apprentice Princess = Kaia Grace (Kelpie, RIP 8/4/2016) DD = Zoey, Carolina Dog
TV = 2005 Chev CC LWB Max & Allie SOLD
5'er = 2005 Excel R30CKW DEAL PENDING

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Can't offer advice on the road, but I hope you drove through the Snowy Mountains while in Laramie. The loop offers a beautiful view. The territorial state prison is a nice attractions also.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
US 287 and US 26 would be my choice.
Be aware of steep downgrade about 20 miles east of Moran Junction. Low gears and use brakes as needed.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about 287, but we came from Coulter Bay to Rock Springs via 191 and it was a nice ride. That route would cause you no problems.