cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Las Cruces to Lubbock

Don_in_Niagara
Explorer
Explorer
After we take 70 out of Las Cruces to 64 at Alamagordo, which is the easier route towards Lubbock? Lesser/shorter mountain grades.
From Alamagordo east thru Cloudcroft on 62 towards Artesia?
Or would it be better to go north to Tularosa and take 70 towards Roswll?
Never gone this way before so your opinions are welcome.
Thanks Don
1990 Barth Regency 34'
Spartan/Cummins 8.3
5 REPLIES 5

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
84 is immaculate.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

liberty2010
Explorer
Explorer
Out of Cruses over Organ then it is all good. BUT going over the Organ Mtn. is a pull.

mike2wheels
Explorer
Explorer
What condition are 70 to Roswell and 84 through Lubbock in? I understand there is a mountain range between Las Cruces and Roswell, but I'm more concerned about the condition of the highway. I'm trying to avoid the El Paso area because the highway is very rough.
2005 Honda Gold Wing
2006 HR Endeavor 40PAQ

MAC-a-roni
Explorer
Explorer
X2 by Traver8. I did the Cloudcroft route once. The road is one lane, narrow through the forest, and slow traffic behind trucks (at least when I drove it).

We travel from San Diego to Lubbock at least once a year. We stay in Las Cruces, then head out on 62/180 to Carlsbad. We always have a pit stop/lunch break at the Guadalupe Park headquarters. Over the last year or so, there has been some highway improvements around Carlsbad. All-in-all, this route is pretty decent.

Have a safe trip!
I'm a happy camper, are you?:)

GulfStream StreamLite 28TRS (sold 11/30/2014)
2009 Ford F-150 Lariat, 5.4L, max tow pkg

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
Don,

If you are looking for the least elevation changes then I would suggest going the other way through El Paso to Hwy 62/180 toward Carslbad NM. You would then continue on the same road through Hobbs, NM and then on toward Lubbock. This route is very flat the entire way except for the portion through the Guadalupe Mountains National Park where there is a significant elevation gain through the pass. This is all over within a 15-20 distance and then it is all relatively flat again.
Totally different scenery this way of course, all open desert grasslands and salt flats with some really spectacular views of the Guadalupe Mtns and of course you will go past Carlsbad Caverns as well. Both of these are worth a stop if you have the time and have not ever been there.
Your other choices both go over the mountians and are more of a forested route until you get over them. Once on the East side you are again in the flat country over to Lubbock.

Hope this helps, please ask if you have more questions.

Terry