cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making the plunge

Firehawvvk
Explorer
Explorer
We were going to try to make the trip last year but we are going to make the plunge right after Memorial Day. We are probably making a huge mistake but we have made no plans/reservations of any kind. Not even sure what route we will take or even what our final destination will be. We are leaving from SE Iowa and plan on leaving on June 2nd. Go ahead and pile on.

Bob and Shelley
Bob and Shelley
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 Coachman Catalina 253RKS
22 REPLIES 22

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just came up the highway and virtually all of the Parks and RV parks have been nearly empty. We havnt made a reservations anywhere. Including such popular stops as Skagway...which by the Way DONT MISS and Valdez...even more scenic than Skagway.

While I see the number of RV's increasing slowly as we get towards June. I wouldnt worry.

I would make the trip as fast as you can at least until you enter the Yukon. But even as beautiful as the Yukon can be it pales in comparison to Alaska.

The drive is EASY. The road is good. Be prepared for incredibly high fuel prices in BC and some parts of the Yukon...needlessly high. Fuel is much cheaper once you get to Alaska.

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
What is this "reservation" thing you speak of? We have made 11 trips in the last 10 years, and just stop when it is time, and have never been turned away. Go and enjoy it.

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
Record numbers of Americans traveling this summer, so keep that in mind especially 4th July and if in Canada, 1 July.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Were leaving the middle of July and have budgeted 2 months time. No plans or reservations.

Uma___Papa
Explorer
Explorer
We made NO plans last summer for our trip to Alaska, did just fine. Don't sweat it. Have a great time, you'll run out of words to describe how beautiful Alaska is...........

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
That is the best way to travel! No plans means you won't be rushed to make a certain location on a certain date, you may enjoy where you are at. Gotta get there, gotta get there, gotta get there, is no way to see Alaska, slow down and enjoy the trip.

It's the best way to travel anywhere. When possible, stay off the Interstate. Use side roads and US Highways. Take your time and enjoy the trip.

I like to use Roadside America when traveling. Maybe you can find something interesting.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you're doing it right. Many times no plans = a fantastic trip!

A couple things though - get yourself the Milepost book. It's great for history as you drive and maps. Also Mike and Terri Church's 'Alaskan Camping' book is great. It includes Canada and the Yukon also and describes not only RV parks, but all public parks and boondocking spots. Lots of good information. Lastly, order the TourSaver 2/1 coupon book. One glacier cruise will pay for the trip and you'll want to do at least one.

Lastly, the only reservations we made for the whole summer was the July 4 weekend (Alaskans like to camp, too) and for your stay IN Denali National Park. We only made those reservations about 3 weeks prior when we could better judge when we'd be there.

Otherwise, just start driving and stop when you see something interesting. Sometimes we only drove 50 miles and stopped for a few days of exploring a fantastic area. Having no deadlines is an awesome way to travel. You'll do just fine. Enjoy!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
That is the best way to travel! No plans means you won't be rushed to make a certain location on a certain date, you may enjoy where you are at. Gotta get there, gotta get there, gotta get there, is no way to see Alaska, slow down and enjoy the trip.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded