cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Missouri to Estes Park, CO

98silvz71
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are making a trip to Estes Park, CO to see some family and to go to my sister's wedding. We plan on driving across Kansas via I70 and then I25 to Lyons and up Hwy 36 to Paradise RV Park. We are actually staying in the cabins there at the park and then going over to Mary's Lake campground and staying for one more night. I was wondering if anyone could comment on taking a better route or if we would be alright taking a 36' fifth wheel that way. I read another post about coming from WI to Estes Park, but wanted to see what other thought about our way.
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB Duramax - 20K B&W Companion, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks and Stabilizer, BFG A/T KO2
2014 Keystone Fuzion 342 Toyhauler
2008 Arctic Cat 700 Diesel
17 REPLIES 17

98silvz71
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided after we spend the night in Russel, KS, that we will head north and connect with 36 and take that all the way to Estes. My sister talked with the people across the way of Paradise on the River and we can leave our camper there until we leave and head to Mary's Lake. Thanks for everyone's help in figuring out a good route to take.
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB Duramax - 20K B&W Companion, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks and Stabilizer, BFG A/T KO2

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you're right Thom02099....Sorry bout that....I was going off memory. Never have really looked at where 36 went past Bennett. I always go around Denver. I had a run once from Kodak in Rochester, NY to Kodak in Windsor, CO 3 times a month and always went across 36 or I 70 in Kansas 27 n to 34 to 257 into Windsor....Good, easy way to go ! I don't like to go through Denver but if you go at off peak hours most of the time it's not to bad but traffic runs about 90 mph in all directions.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
brooks379 wrote:
Highway 36 across CO doesn't go into, or near Estes Park. You need to go north and pick up hwy 34 to go into EP.... You can take 36 across Kansas to Saint Francis, KS north on 27 to highway 34 then into EP (just a little south of EP) All of 36- 27- 34 are 2 lane, real good roads. They go through a few small farming/Ranch towns...no problem. Other than that it's just Coyotes, Cattle and Antelope across there.

Skirting around the NE side of Denver is difficult without the toll of 470.

About the best way to beat the toll is to take the Tower Road ext to 104th to I25 & N from there. Tower road is not the open country road that it used to be & 104th to I25 is not the empty road that it used to be either.

I do like Brooks379 route to avoid the whole Denver mess.

One can also take Tower Road all the way up to 120th Ave and then across to I-25. I frequently use that route to get to DIA. Or better yet, get off I-70 in Bennett and take CO 79 north to CO 52 and the take that west thru Hudson and Fort Lupton and on to I-25 at Dacono.

ETA: Also 470 is E-470 and there are 3 toll plazas between I-70 and I-25, if one decides to go that route. The license plate toll is $3.55 for 2 axles and $3.55 for each additional axle. Gets very expensive to go that route with a tandem wheel trailer!

One could also stay on I-70 to I-*2*70, which is by the old Stapleton Airport property and goes through Commerce City before joining up with I-25 where US 36 is once again picked up heading to Boulder.

It's all a mess down there! Take US 34 across! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
brooks379 wrote:
Highway 36 across CO doesn't go into, or near Estes Park. You need to go north and pick up hwy 34 to go into EP

Uhhh...yes it does. US 36, if you read my post above, is the only way (other than CO7) currently to get to Estes Park, as US 34/The Big Thompson Canyon is currently closed for construction and will be until Memorial Day weekend 2017. US 36 can be reached in Lyons from CO 66 off I-25.
US 36 is also the Boulder Turnpike AKA/Buffalo Turnpike. From eastern Colorado it runs into I-70 out in the Byers area, and splits off I-25/I-70 junction just outside Westminster.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
brooks379 wrote:
Highway 36 across CO doesn't go into, or near Estes Park. You need to go north and pick up hwy 34 to go into EP.... You can take 36 across Kansas to Saint Francis, KS north on 27 to highway 34 then into EP (just a little south of EP) All of 36- 27- 34 are 2 lane, real good roads. They go through a few small farming/Ranch towns...no problem. Other than that it's just Coyotes, Cattle and Antelope across there.

Skirting around the NE side of Denver is difficult without the toll of 470.

About the best way to beat the toll is to take the Tower Road ext to 104th to I25 & N from there. Tower road is not the open country road that it used to be & 104th to I25 is not the empty road that it used to be either.

I do like Brooks379 route to avoid the whole Denver mess.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Horsedoc wrote:
If you were to decide to do I-70 across, turn north (I-470??) before I-25 and take the bypass out by the airport and back into 25 north of Denver. Traffic in the Denver area reminds me of my own Atlanta - never really light.
We usually go north to Loveland and then up Big Thompson rd to Estes Park.

I470 is actually C470 and it is a tollway so there will be a hefty charge for any RV.
I would recommend using one of the alternative routes suggested and bypass Denver and as much of I25 north bound as possible. The traffic has really gotten bad in recent years with all the new arrivals. Hint: US34 is a nice route across northern Colorado.

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you were to decide to do I-70 across, turn north (I-470??) before I-25 and take the bypass out by the airport and back into 25 north of Denver. Traffic in the Denver area reminds me of my own Atlanta - never really light.
We usually go north to Loveland and then up Big Thompson rd to Estes Park.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Got an easy route for you & a whole lot more scenic too. From wherever you are in MO get on 36 & stay on 36 all the way. A very civilised highway the whole way.

Does make it easy - Rt 36 from Hannibal to Estes - never change roads and IMHO is a Great - Easy option - so much so it has been My route of Choice on the last 12-15 (Maybe more - lost count) trips to and from Colorado.

Will take you to and through Boulder and Lyons right to Estes.

But my Favorite drive to Estes has to be Peak to Peak - for me Rt 6 out of Golden to Rt 119 just outside of Idaho Springs - If you want to see Colorado you have to get on those mountain roads and See/Feel Colorado.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got an easy route for you & a whole lot more scenic too. From wherever you are in MO get on 36 & stay on 36 all the way. A very civilised highway the whole way.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
79 is a good 2 lane road that runs through wide open country. I have driven it and 52 many times with no problem. 52 is also a 2 lane in good condition and you will miss all the Denver and surrounding traffic.

98silvz71
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:

One of the locals here. Your plan is very sound. Just some minor clarifications. On I-25 north from Denver, you'll want to get off on the CO 66 exit for Longmont, whichs skirts the northern part of the city and takes you to Lyons. Then on up US 36 as you have planned. This is not going to be difficult with a 5th wheel, no hairpin turns, etc. The road has been reconstructed since the flood of '13 and is actually better than ever to drive.

If you were to decide to take US 36 from MO across northern Kansas, that is a very good route, with small towns interspersed every 40ish miles or so, for fueling/break/food purposes. When you get in to Colorado, you can take US 385 north to US 34 and take that all the way in to Loveland.

If you're doing this AFTER Memorial Day, you can take US 34 up the Big Thompson Canyon. If you are doing this BEFORE Memorial Day, you'll need to take a slight detour south from Loveland on US 287 to CO 66. US 34 is currently closed for major reconstruction and is not expected to reopen to thru traffic until Memorial Day weekend.

What are you doing with your trailer while you are staying at Paradise on the River? It's a tight park and IIRC, they don't have a lot of extra parking. Mary's Lake will be a good choice for your alternative place to stay, it's run by the Town of Estes Park Recreation and Parks Department and is the cheapest place to stay in the area. Pretty area there, be aware that it can get very windy there, due to the geography.

I just checked my route I have planned and yes I am taking Hwy 66 on the north side of Longmont. I haven't been to Estes since 2008 or 2009 so better roads sound nice. My sister has been talking with the lady in the office, she has a place where they store their personal camper and she was checking to see if I could store it there over the weekend. If I understand correctly it is the bigger campground right across the way from Paradise, they are sisters I believe. If not then I will take it to my Uncle's shop in Greeley, which will suck but if thats what I have to do then I will do it. We are traveling the weekend of June 24.

98silvz71
Explorer
Explorer
pyoung47 wrote:
Depends on where you are in Missouri. If North Mo, prob up to 80 is quickest. I would also prefer 36, although slower. You will find it very congested with tight turns in Estes Park. It's a tourist destination (trap).

Southern MO. I don't plan on driving around Estes very much if I can help it. My uncle told me I could store the camper at his business in Greeley, I just don't want to have to drive back to Greeley to go back to Mary's Lake campground again.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
98silvz71 wrote:
My wife and I are making a trip to Estes Park, CO to see some family and to go to my sister's wedding. We plan on driving across Kansas via I70 and then I25 to Lyons and up Hwy 36 to Paradise RV Park. We are actually staying in the cabins there at the park and then going over to Mary's Lake campground and staying for one more night. I was wondering if anyone could comment on taking a better route or if we would be alright taking a 36' fifth wheel that way. I read another post about coming from WI to Estes Park, but wanted to see what other thought about our way.

One of the locals here. Your plan is very sound. Just some minor clarifications. On I-25 north from Denver, you'll want to get off on the CO 66 exit for Longmont, whichs skirts the northern part of the city and takes you to Lyons. Then on up US 36 as you have planned. This is not going to be difficult with a 5th wheel, no hairpin turns, etc. The road has been reconstructed since the flood of '13 and is actually better than ever to drive.

If you were to decide to take US 36 from MO across northern Kansas, that is a very good route, with small towns interspersed every 40ish miles or so, for fueling/break/food purposes. When you get in to Colorado, you can take US 385 north to US 34 and take that all the way in to Loveland.

If you're doing this AFTER Memorial Day, you can take US 34 up the Big Thompson Canyon. If you are doing this BEFORE Memorial Day, you'll need to take a slight detour south from Loveland on US 287 to CO 66. US 34 is currently closed for major reconstruction and is not expected to reopen to thru traffic until Memorial Day weekend.

What are you doing with your trailer while you are staying at Paradise on the River? It's a tight park and IIRC, they don't have a lot of extra parking. Mary's Lake will be a good choice for your alternative place to stay, it's run by the Town of Estes Park Recreation and Parks Department and is the cheapest place to stay in the area. Pretty area there, be aware that it can get very windy there, due to the geography.