cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mt Rainier - east side

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm heading to Mt Rainier coming in from the east. Our rig is 12' 6" tall and there are some tunnels and signs without reliable height numbers.

Any info on highways 410 & 123 near Chinook and Cayus passes would be appreciated.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide
8 REPLIES 8

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks all for the help.

Just in case, I contacted tech support for my planner. They said the routing engine thinks I'm a commercial vehicle and those roads are closed to commercial vehicles.

That and some poor photo interpretations on the web led me astray.
Rick,

PullRite Superglide

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled this both ways on 123 between U.S. 12 and 410 last year as we stayed at The Dalles Campgound for a few nights. Didn't have any problems other than some rough stretches of pavement.

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
We're going to camp north and south of the park for a nice long stay. Since we're coming from the east, all those routes became important.
Rick,

PullRite Superglide

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks!
Nothing like real world experience.
123 is avoidable, but if the park is correct it's usable.

I think I'm going to bring my laser tape measure to check some of these before going through them.
Rick,

PullRite Superglide

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe this is helpful?

https://visitrainier.com/cayuse-pass-123/#:~:text=For%20more%20information%2C%20check%20the,height%20limit%2013%E2%80%B2%201%E2%80%B3.

From the website, says 13.1 so you should be OK, not sure if you would have to drive down the middle which would be a concern. It does say, no commercial vehicles.

I would ask, why are you going that way? I have looked at state campgrounds in the area and depending on the size of your trailer, you might not be able to get a spot that can accommodate. That is the reason we found bumping lake. There are some nice areas to camp off Hwy 12 and some off 410, but didn't have a reason to take 123 to connect them. However, glad I now know about that tunnel. I will avoid that if pulling my 5th wheel. I'm sure it is marked at both ends of the highway.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've driven the distance of 410 from Enumclaw to Yakima with our 5th wheel and have never experienced a problem. We camp near the Crystal cutoff and have camped at Bumping lake a few times, no issues with height.

Not sure about 123, haven't gone that way. I have driven hwy 12 with no issues for height.

Can you avoid 123?

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Aye NPS says 123 tunnel is 13/1 and WA DOT says 11/10.

The photos of Stevens looks like their 12/6 is center max height.

410 has a NFS without signs and looks really low.

The lack of signs on any of them is the most troubling.
Rick,

PullRite Superglide

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
wsdot 410/123 web page

park road page

The park page lists a tunnel height for 123 (and Stevens Canyon). The tunnel on 123 is 2.7 miles south of the 410 junction (form Google Maps)

I don't recall any tunnels on 410, or if there are any they aren't very noticeable (in a car).