cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Navigation aids; trip planning - GPS, Books, Online?

rickw1221
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at online reviews, it seems that everyone has some dissatisfaction with ALL the GPS devices. Thoughts?

Any good trip planning software? It looks like Good Sam's might be good but apparently can't display/print a map!!

Thanks!
Rick & Sharon Willeford
Highlands, NC
8 REPLIES 8

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
There is a brand new Garmin (RV760) that is made specifically for RV use. It's just shipping now from Garmin.

I currently use a TomTom and AutoClub (AAA) maps, but will be switching to the RV760 and AAA maps method.

WoodGlue

I cant find the NEW Garmin RV760 online.

RR

I finally gnd this site:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/rv/cOnTheRoad-c518-p1.html

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We use Delorme Street Atlas for our laptop to plan the route. We then transfer that route to our Garmin GPS. We love secondary roads not interstates so we put in a lot of vias for the way WE want to go, not the GPSs. It works for us.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
On most trips I pick up added info along the way - a more detail recreation map from the convenience store, state park brochures, geology guidebooks from museum gift shops, brochures from provincial visitor centers, backroads guide books from ferry gift shops, etc.

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rick,

As anybody that knows me also knows that "Navigator" has been my job title a lot of my life, I get asked about this a lot.

The short answer to your question is YES.....
Standalone GPS are great for knowing where you are and what you have to do next, but for planning, they suck.

The navigator packages (Strips & Treets, Street Alas and Coopilot) are great for planing the route, but are pretty much useless to the driver on the road as they can't be in front of him and aren't very good at knowing where attractions are.

That is why you need to start with the online things like AAA, Google and Roadtripper, but even they can't find everything. So, work all the online resources you can find and make lists and plan all you can before departure.

I usually have to stop my planning effort when it is time to put the laptop in the coach. It actually doesn't stop then, but when DW is driving, I am using the phone to get internet and watching progress on SA (outgrew S&T years ago) and even modifying the plan on the fly.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I find that a GPS is most useful for keeping track of where I am (including direction of travel) and anticipating nearby travel choices. The small screen is not good for looking at the big picture. Yes it can give you a route all the way across the country, but it's a pain to review that route in detail.

When looking a GPS reviews, try to get a sense of what experience and expectations the review has. Ignore reviews from 1st time GPS buyers who don't have realistic expectations. You'll learn more about their ignorance than the unit.

MS Streets & Trips is a good planning tool, though not necessarily the best. A bit plus is that it is self contained. You don't need an internet connection to use it.

I prefer Google Maps. The amount of information about most roads is unsurpassed. I use 'terrain mode' and 'streetview' a lot.

Learn also to use various state DOT websites. They have webcams showing weather conditions, traffic reports for cities and major highways, and construction reports.

For camping information, I use state park websites, National Parks sites, and National Forest sites.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
well 1st we figure where we want to go, look at a PRINTED map of the area and the area to transit. Then will go to the net to see what they recommend. have looked at several different sites to include good sam, cracker barrel, just use you search engine of choice to find one. Then will use the navigator to take us to areas not familiar with but do use just a normal one set for truck. mainly the navigator is to get us to a particular address. This summer stopped at taos NM visitor center asked about a destination we wanted but was not on the navigator menu/memory. the clerk was no help, but we did find a street address in the state tourist guide and plugged it in to the nav and off we went. It has not lead down any wrong ways or dead ends (used to be an issue for them) but new ones are a lot more reliable but as in the last reference it did take us to a 2dary entrance. When all else has been done then go to a website such as this and ask about specific places. Still rely on maps for initial and sometimes roadway info so we carry an rv atlas from camp world or one from wally world. I also use KOA's so I will usually pick up their latest campground guide for reference.

BTW forgot to include, we very seldom if ever 'reserve' camp grounds unless it is one where we know it could be crowded. Gives us more flexibility and we are not driven to reach anyone place on a schedule.

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
I'll tell you what works for us...We use Microsoft Streets & trips off of our desktop computer when planning a trip. I copy,paste and edit driving directions to "clean up" the text. My wife, the navigator, doesn't like the level of detail included therefore we abridge the text. We also have the same "trips" loaded onto our laptop. We append or modify our routes once we have departed, as required. We carry a gps in the towed for tourist stuff - years ago our Lowarance took the motorhome down a dead end - unhook car and 6-point turn around, not fun. That's why the gps stays in the car. We do not usually have paper maps - other than Trailer Life campground directory. We travel interstates primarily - really cautious about underpasses on secondary roads.
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
There is a brand new Garmin (RV760) that is made specifically for RV use. It's just shipping now from Garmin.

I currently use a TomTom and AutoClub (AAA) maps, but will be switching to the RV760 and AAA maps method.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer