cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nevada Road trip

GiantsDiehard
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling from Reno to Las Vegas in late October via US 95. I am interested in any information regarding the highway condition, travel conditions this time of year, elevation changes, ease of traverse pulling a 31 ft. travel trailer, etc. Is this road advisable to say, US 395 as an alternative to reduce travel time, etc.?
Thanks for any and all feedback. Much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
We travel it frequently going South to Bishop, CA in the winter to avoid going over a pass at 8,200'. We cut off of 95 to Hy 360 to US 6 into Bishop. 95 is a very good 2 lane road. The highest elevation you will hit is 7,100'. However the pass is shielded on both sides of the road by hills and gets very little snow in the road surface. You will encounter truck traffic on occasion as the truckers like it because they can make good time on it and few cops.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check weather forecast, watch for thunderstorms south of Hawthorne. We got caught in one once and could only see a few feet ahead of us. 95 is a good smooth highway with speed limits up to 70 MPH, watch your speed going thru the towns, speed limits get down to 25. There is a rest area 13 miles north of Tonopah that has a area for RV to camp over night. Dick

We are SF Giants Fans, which Giants are you a fan of SF or NY?

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two lane highway most of the way. Good condition. No steep grades.
A lot of empty in Nevada, long ways between towns, and a lot of towns shown on the map have little to no services. So fill up when you can. North end of Tonopah has a large truck stop, easy for rigs to get in and out.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

elkyrose
Explorer
Explorer
Made the trip several times on US 95 with double trailers and no trouble..

Pretty good road but a little crowed that time of the year going south..

And I'll be one of them...

395 is a little hilly to say the least.. only do that route on my motorcycle..