cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nogales crossing report

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, Mexico where it is never the same way twice. Some of you may not be aware of the promised changes by the Gov. They have eliminated some of the inspections ( red light ,green light) at many crossings. Nogales now has the one inspection just after the first toll booth. You do not get any paperwork at this point. However one of the Gov. geniuses forgot to do some infrastructure work so the is a place to do the inspection. It is a Zoo with more aduaneros than are required. Most of them doing nothing. As before you are supposed to cross to the right where the sign says motor homes. So far so good. A young female Aduanero entered the MH , pet the cat , and made small talk. She looked inside our truck and then told me to wait. Behind me were about 6 frustrated 28 wheelers who cannot get past me. She brought over another Aduanero who saw my Hologram but wanted to see the paperwork. He motioned for me to pull forward a few feet to let the trucks go by. I said this will not work as they will clip my truck. I moved further forward and he motioned for me to stop. My wife explained in Spanish that we have not allowed enough room for the trucks. He said in English: No problem! I just kept on moving. I could see the pissed off truckers in the mirror. He then looked at the paperwork and told us to move on. There were trucks and cars all over the place. In the compound were about 15 Mexican vehicles with all their goods scattered about and a line up to pay duties. NUTS! KM 21 still has the Banjercito and issue permits and FMM's. The inspection lanes are closed and the lights have been removed. It was deserted. One clerk at the Bank and one immigration guy. They were polite and happy! We were processed in 15 minutes. I asked about returning the FMM when leaving and he stated it is not required. He did say they will be building a booth on the Northbound side to collect the FMM's. Lots of construction on both sides of the border. Road condition was normal: Some very good and some horrible. Watch for loose gravel. Make sure you have taken your BP meds!

Moisheh
17 REPLIES 17

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Today's El Imparcial had all the statistics on the new Mariposa crossing. 12 lanes for cars. 8 for trucks, 24 secondary spots for cars, 56 for trucks, cost 187 million, 60 % of the vegetables consumed in the USA cross @ Nogales, 4000 trailers cross daily.

Moisheh

iguana07
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its like a Super Market, they have twenty check outs but only one is open........LOL
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
I might add that there is talk in AZ about most of those lanes not being open as there are not enough agents!

Moisheh

Agree! In fact we have fewer Custom & BP agents than last Spring per an article published this last Summer in a Tucson Newspaper. Agents were moved to Texas to deal with their bigger border issues. There are definitely fewer where I live just North of Nogales.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
This discussion has been about the Mexican side not Mariposa. I might add that there is talk in AZ about most of those lanes not being open as there are not enough agents!

Moisheh

darbone85737
Explorer
Explorer
According to tonight's piece on channel 13 news here in Tucson today was the Grand Opening of the expanded and renovated Mariposa port. There are supposed to be 24 lanes open now and there should be no delay going through

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
RonY Vickie: As is most things in Mexico it can be confusing! Cross Country. It is marked but I would not call it clear. After you exit the toll booth the inspection area is less than a KM ahead. The signs show that cars stay to the left. There are Jersey barriers to keep the big trucks to the right. You will see the typical lanes for cars with those infamous traffic lights. DO NOT enter that area.To your right you will see large lanes for trucks and one that is marked in smaller print" motor homes" Go slow it is wide enough but some of the concrete posts have someone's paint on them! I always have the wife watch her side and I watch mine. On most MH's if the mirrors clear you are good to go. An Aduanero will approach. Good Luck. Where are you staying in Maz. Congrats on the Foretravel. You really have moved up!

Moisheh

RonYVickie
Explorer
Explorer
Just to clarify, only the Aduana is shut down at km21 ? You still get your permits and papers there ? RYV
Sorry - I just re-read your first post and answered my own question !

cross_country
Explorer
Explorer
Cancelled or returned my ten year permit last time through Nogales on the Coachman/Sportscoach to avoid problems with a different future vehicle.

I still have the Coachman (hard to part with after twenty years and 155 thousand miles)and most likely no one would want it. Now have a 42' Foretravel towing Honda CRV and taking a friend who is new to Mexico in his 40 Ultimate Freedom. So any mistakes I make will be X2 and I wish to avoid that if at all possible.

Enter on the left and swing to the right (Winnipeg two step) It is clearly marked and or obvious?

Mary and Tom '86 Crosscountry Sportscoach
2000 Foretravel U320 4210

Talleyho69
Entering at Lukeville Sunday, but got our FMM's in Tijuana last week, and still have 7 years left on our TIP.
We'll post about dogs, etc.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Cross Country: Yes we tow our extended cab Silverado and the MH is 42 ft. They removed those concrete topes that were on the bias last year. It is no tighter than the US side. Our unit is 102 wide as are all the 18 wheelers that use that crossing. You do enter to the left and have to swing over to the MH crossing on the right but it is easy. The concrete barrier snakes are on the US side. But still very doable. I think they use these so that some fool does not try to "run the border " at a high speed. It still amazes me that in the crazy world we live in not one Aduanero asks for ID. You could be the head of ISIL and cross with a smile on your face! Cross Country: What are you driving? Did you sell the Coachman?

Moisheh

cross_country
Explorer
Explorer
looking forward to your report entering from Lukeville; the tourist permit at the border, and further down the line at Pipiqu; the Temporary Import Permit. if that will be the case. Thanks

Moisheh, I take it you were towing a full size truck behind the motorhome? Is there lots of room for a wide body or is it the snake of concrete barriers it was a couple of years ago?

Mary and Tom '86 Crosscountry Sportscoach
2000 Foretravel U320 4210

stanbnv
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a problem crossing at Lukeville.
Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat & Loki
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 6 sp Quad Cab Bighorn
2017 Open Range Roamer 316RLS
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

Talleyho69
Return your VEHICLE permit, of course.
The on-line TIP is wonderful, easy and no more expensive. Why stand in line and suffer?
We'll report on entering at Lukeville on Monday.....

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
been going through nogales over the years and never even saw a red light green light...oh well.

you can now get your car permits online from what I hear...but we will do the stand in line like the rest of you all.

But, always return your fmm permit when returning to us/Canada.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015