cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

North To Alaska - Update from Homer

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of you may recall that I have posted two previous threads about my trip north so far.

We are now in Homer after stays in Skagway, Valdez and Anchorage.

Last time I was in Homer was about 44 years ago. As most places it has changed dramatically in that time.

Homer is one of the true jewels of Alaska, especially if you are a fisherman. The setting is stunning.

Unfortunately much of the Spit has been ruined to my mind. But this is inevitable I guess.

Near the southern end the famous Homer Spit is now chock-a-block with tacky Eastern Seaboard style Boardwalk tourist trap shops crammed cheek by jowl grinning at you with garish colors and pleading signs.

Most of it can be given a total miss.

One place to go that is worthwhile is the Salty Dog Bar. Very atmospheric and filled with locals as well as tourists.

If you are staying in Homer with your RV I would advise giving a miss to the RV Parks here.

The Heritage RV Park on the Spit is so grossly overpriced it made me laugh. It is basically a gravel parking lot with (albeit) a nice new building. Oh the scenery is great but it is great from anywhere on the Spit. And Heritage wanted over $73 dollars for a full hookup 30 amp site.

At the Far end of the Spit is another RV Park that deserves to be given a miss. The Homer Spit Campground is a disgrace. It's dirty, rundown, unlevel, weeds growing everywhere. In need of a lot of work and they want $39 Plus Tax for ELECTRIC ONLY SITES. The Full hookup without Dump was over $50 Plus tax...no discounts except for active military. On top of that you must pay a dollar a day per person for a shower.

My guess is that the rather new-ish Heritage came in and raised their rates and the scruffy older places decided they too could gouge the RV Public.

Now there are other choices in and around Homer but I have not been inside them yet.

Homer really exists for the weekend get-away business from the Anchorage area and Fishing Afishionados. (Pun and SP intentional) so they will continue to charge outrageous rates.

My suggestion is to dry camp at one of Homers city parks for 15$ per night. They too are right on the Spit...with the same views and frankly are not much more "rustic" than the RV Parks.

Homer has a beautiful new library, large and airy and great wifi. It is a very impressive library for a small town. They also have used books for sale on an ongoing basis and will accept your already read books as a donation.

A fabulous eating place especially for wonderful home made breads and other baked goodies, interesting lunches and Dinner Wednesday thru Sat is THE TWO SISTERS BAKERY on Bunnel street in old town Homer. It's warm and cozy with plenty of seating and smells wonderful.

We came to Homer from Seward where we only stayed long enough to take the Kenai Fjords Boat tour to the glaciers. I took this tour about 15 years ago, it was truly spectacular then and hasn't changed. You will see many types of creatures for your efforts.

We saw several Humpback Whales, a pod of Orcas, Puffins, Eagles, A mother mountain Goat and her newborn, Sea Otters and more birds than I can list. I highly recommend this tour especially with Kenai Fjords Tours. Mys suggestion is to take the 8AM tour. This is less crowded as the excursion tours from Anchorage (the big tour groups) take the 11 AM tours.

And finally a plea to all of you who share your Alaskan Experiences here. Please consider starting your own threads. This makes them easier to find (with this questionable search engine on this site)and much more accessible than sifting through hundreds of posts in another thread.
7 REPLIES 7

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...just had the computer eat my completed post.

Homer....spectacular scenery; much less full of itself during the winter.

Los Anchorage....nothing in particular to recommend this except as a starting out point.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Baycrest up the hill before Homer. It was a wonderful campground with spectacular views. It was not cheap but well worth the money to us. We did not find activities on the Spit worthwhile with the exception of fishing In the lagoon. We plan to return in 2017 and may spend a month there. Homer, Valdez, and Denali were our favorite places to visit while in Alaska and we will spend our time there next time. Fairbanks and Anchorage are just like any big city and we do not need to return there.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
Livin' with the "spit rats"! The spit is fun to visit but there are other campgrounds/RV parks up by town that offer nicer spots. I've always liked Oceanview RV park on the right side of the road as you enter Homer. It's a Good Sam park and offers military discounts also. Awesome beach combing, wifi, full hookups, clean showers and restrooms (no spit rats trashing the place).
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

quoyfab
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at both of the "overpriced" CG's you referenced. Given the fact the 'Spit' is nothing but a miles long pile of rocks. there are limits on what they can offer beyond cleanliness. Very limited season and I imagine rather pricey land & building costs. Our visits were in '02 and '05, and we enjoyed sitting and watching 'The Eagle Lady' (deceased), hanging of the Halibut and processing, fairy to Seldovia, and of course The Salty Dog Saloon. As I'm a lover of scenery, the 'overlook' as you enter Homer is breathtaking. I could sit up there for hours. ๐Ÿ™‚

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Good assessment of Homer. It's a jewel. We also recommend staying at the city park. It's just as nice as the $73 one next door. RVs are self-contained. You don't need hookups.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
lhenry8113 wrote:
The Salty Dog Saloon brings back some great memories. I was in Valdez/ Homer camping and further N to Circle, Chena Hot Springs, Glen Allen, Tok Junction, Fairbanks, Dawson, etc. before the pipeline. The pipes where all stacked in Valdez waiting to be transported through out Alaska. I hope you got some of that great Alaskan crab while in Homer. Lars

I too was here before the pipeline and then came back to work on a drilling rig in the Arctic ocean. Of course I was a very young guy then.

Lake Arrowhead...I was born and spent a lot of my childhood in SanBerdoo.

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
The Salty Dog Saloon brings back some great memories. I was in Valdez/ Homer camping and further N to Circle, Chena Hot Springs, Glen Allen, Tok Junction, Fairbanks, Dawson, etc. before the pipeline. The pipes where all stacked in Valdez waiting to be transported through out Alaska. I hope you got some of that great Alaskan crab while in Homer. Lars
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright