cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northeast in the fall

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at taking a trip next Fall to the Northeast. Only 11 states I have been to in my life and 6 of them are in the Northeast. (VT,NH,CT,MA,RI,ME). I've always heard that you need to see the Fall colors up there, but I've never been there. What are the "mandatory" things to see and what should we avoid.

I don't mind cities too much, but it isn't my favorite. Obviously we'd prefer to drive around a city than through it. But there is usually something in a city that is worth spending a day there. I'll probably try to go watch a Red Sox game.

It'll be me and my parents going, I'm in my 40s and they're n their 60s and no kids. We both have 40' fifth wheels.

thanks
2006 Chevy Duramax,4x4 Crew Cab
Big Country 3494QBS
21 REPLIES 21

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
In the Lake Placid, NY area we prefer North Pole Resort (100 Acre Woods side) in Wilmington. Pull throughs, full hookups, and clean bathrooms. Never did the KOA there but it also gets good reviews.

Peak foilage in the area is usually a week before Columbus Day though this year it was late.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
tbiker99 wrote:
"Are you planning on taking the 5th wheel into Boston?" Not intentionally! I'd want to camp an hour or two outside and drive in for a day and or game and drive back out.
Agree I don't have to go there to see colors, but I've never been there and it seems like a good time to go. Is there a better time to go?
Being AF, (or Retired AF)You can stay at the Hanscom AFB FamCamp, then take the bus to the subway station & into Boston, which is what we did, besides the game, maybe another day to do the Freedom Trail.
I see a lot of posts recommending not to drive the RV into Boston, personally I wouldn't drive my toad down there.
A lot of color up there Mid September to early October, we loved Acadia NP in Me., White Mountain area of NH.
Note that many CG's up that way close right after Columbus Day.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While you can't go wrong with a fall visit to upstate NY, be aware that many of the Adirondack campgrounds close on Labor day, and some of the roads may be a bit tight for 40 ft fivers.

While I should stay loyal to NY, one of my favorite Fall stops is Ricketts Glen State Park in PA. There are 22 waterfalls and hundreds of cascades along 7 miles of streams in the park. Dry camping with bathrooms & hot showers.

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great info. I'll be researching all of this.
Big Country 3494QBS

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I've said this many times but often Cape Cod is overlooked for foliage. They turn later than most of the rest of New England and the colors can be spectacular.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Kanc and Mt Washington area. 🙂
Ray

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
The last several years we have gone to Acadia for Fall colors. We leave on Columbus Day when the campground closes and that is usually the peak foliage time.

The White Mountains are popular for foliage which also peaks around Columbus Day. The Kancamagus Highway is probably the best for leaf peeping but during the peak is referred to as a 34 mile parking lot. The views looking North through the Mt. Washington Valley are spectacular from "The Kanc".
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
We like Queechie Pine KOA in Central VT. I'm sure there are cheaper options but the location is great. You can visit Stowe on a day trip to the North, NH on a day trip to the East, and lots of local options. For VT, peak will be likely be second or third week of October. Again the good part of being central is if peak is later than expected, take day trips north. If early, go south.

If you have time, start in ME and follow the leafs south but you will have to make reservations based on seasonal avg's for peak or near peak.

Boston is horrible for driving period but it's a great city. There is state forest 40 miles or so north that has beautfiul lakes and hiking. Park and ride to the Freedom Trail. Buy tickets to Fenway EARLY!
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We are doing the same thing this fall. Some of the places on our list for 'leaf peeping:' White Mountains, NH and Green Mountains, VT; Alexandria Bay, Niagara Falls, and Watkins Glenn, NY; Alleghenies in PA.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

tbiker99
Explorer
Explorer
All good information. I was living in Alaska the last few years, I fully understand Fall coming earlier than other places. I was looking at being in Maine in Sept and working south from there.

Appreciate the tips on the roads and bridges. We'd probably stick to major roads with the campers and take side trips with the truck.
Big Country 3494QBS

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Also consider that once you are off the interstate system, speeds are subject to the hills, turns, etc. Not wide open as the western states.

And we have low bridges, something many are not used to. A Trucker's Road Atlas will help with that. Not sure if there's a smart phone app.

Hills generally not as steep as you will find west of the Mississippi except in parts of WV and VA.

True but we do have a number of switchbacks and many long grades, although not as steep as other areas, but very deceiving because of their length. These have caught numerous people off guard.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
You need to define fall. It comes earlier in Maine than it does in VA.

Campgrounds generally close by Columbus Day.

Plenty of great things to see and do and you could easily spend April thru October and not see it all. IF you like history, nearly every town and city has history.

Suggest you start researching each state and major attractions now and then plan your trip. Narrow you scope of activities to fit what is most important to you.

Also consider that once you are off the interstate system, speeds are subject to the hills, turns, etc. Not wide open as the western states.

Hills generally not as steep as you will find west of the Mississippi except in parts of WV and VA.
Jim Hunter

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Fall is the BEST time in New England, but book your campground reservations early. There's nothing to truly avoid except maybe driving in Boston. Yes, there are other places you can go for fall colors (Gettysburg area of PA comes to mind) but New England has soooooo much more than leaves-history, museums, fairs, festivals, whale watching, city life-and it's a very compact area so you can easily visit more than one state. Get your Sox tickets early, too, and be prepared for sticker shock on what it costs. Foliage varies from year-to-year so be ready to possibly drive a bit to see good color.

Douglas Adams

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
OP clearly states that he wants to visit the Northeast for foliage and not been there before in his travels.

Yet, sometimes people with reading comprehension problems always have to chime in "oh, don't forget this one and you gotta see that one!

Never ceases to amaze me. :B
Ray