cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off the beaten track

Teeshot1939
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a 9 day trip from Jacksonville to Boston with my Class A with toad in the spring. Not in a hurry to get to Boston but have to be in Boston on day 10. Looking for suggestions of interesting sites/places to visit and things to do along the way. Planning to stop in Myrtle Beach for 1-2 days for some golf with the wife. I am retired military and may swing thru Fort Bragg along the way. All other suggestions welcome!! Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Teeshot1939 wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

Okay. here's one.

Scusset Beach State Park in MA. Pavet sites. It abuts the Cape Cod Canal and the Atlantic Ocean! Easy stroll to both. GREAT paved bike/walking lanes along the canal.

About 55 mins. to Boston (except during rush hour). Might be a good base camp for you?

Closer to Boston is Wompatuck State Park. Wooded and mostly Private sites and many bike and hiking and horse trails. Lake fishing.

Maybe 35 minutes to Boston. ferry to Boston nearby also.

Camped in both and like both very much.
Ray

Teeshot1939
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
You probably want to skip the Corvette Museum. Turns out that they built it on top of a giant sinkhole. They're attempting to repair what they can, but they're far from done.
Here's some pics.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Gettysburg, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Myrtle Beach, Outer Banks, Harper's Ferry, Antetiam, Shenandoah National Park, Great Smoky Mountain National Park, Cape Cod, DC, Nashville, Corvette museum in Kentucky, Assateague, Chincoteague. I'm sure I've got more but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for `______ tourism' and put the area, state, city, or whatever in the space. You will get lots of ideas. Colonial Williamsburg comes to mind as well as Monticello, Jefferson's home and Antietam battlefield.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Parris Island SC has a fairly new famcamp on base.
We also stay at Camp LeJeune's famcamp in Jacksonville NC.
Ditto on Gettysburg PA.
If you want to bypass Washington DC, Harper's Ferry WV is very interesting. We stayed at the KOA.
We stayed at the KOA in Newburgh, NY to bypass NYC. They have a tour into NYC via tour bus. Pricey but well worth it.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I spent a week in Gettysburg a couple of years ago. It's a great place to learn some history. The aquarium in Boston is really nice and I enjoyed a whale watch off Nantucket. There's lots to do.