cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oregon 101 drive with 30ft. TT?

JimK
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning a trip to the West coast in late August. We hope to travel from N to S along the Oregon coast - Hwy 101. Once we hit California we'll leave the coast and head towards Las Vegas where we have two sons.
We've heard some horror stories about some sections of 101 with RVs but aren't sure where those spots are. We'll be pulling a 30ft. TT with a GMC Sierra 2500HD.
Any words of advice for driving that route?
Jim and Cathy
GMC 2500HD, Ext. cab. 6.0L. V8 4WD
2005 Trail Bay 27DS
12 REPLIES 12

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
We just did your trip in reverse (Vegas to, currently, Klamath, CA) Our route from Vegas was I-15 to CA-58 (stayed at Sierra Trails RV Park) to CA 99 to Tulare (stayed at Sun & Fun RV Park) to CA-198 to I-5 to Patterson (stayed at Kit Fox RV Park) to CA-12 to Lodi (stayed at Flag City RV Park) continued on CA 12 to CA 128 to Healdsburg (spent the night at Alexander Valley RV Park). After that, we picked up took 12/29 through Napa and the many miles of vineyards and then left on 128 to Scotia (stopped at the Stafford RV Park in Scotia for one night)From there, it was a hop/skip/jump onto 101 and we came all the way up to Klamath Really decent roads the whole way. We're heading into OR tomorrow on 101 but not sure just where we'll be stopping. Then we want to head back towards I-5 and north into Washington.

The driving was a bit twisty and turny and hilly in the Napa area but basically easy. The views coming north were outstanding!
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

JimK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback. 🙂
In our many years of towing, we've run into a few roads that we wished we had checked out ahead of time. Sounds like our ride down the Oregon coast should be one more to add to our pleasant travel memories.
Jim and Cathy
GMC 2500HD, Ext. cab. 6.0L. V8 4WD
2005 Trail Bay 27DS

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Heck the only part of hwy one that I'd avoid is the section north from S.F. to Olema. I don't even like to drive some of that in a car. I have pulled my 35' TT with an Excursion both ways on #1,including Big Sur,but not the Olema section and never had a problem. I have even driven a charter bus on several sections of it.
Drive slow and take it easy,you'll find that you're average speed will be around 45mph for the trip. Relax and enjoy it.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're confused by Hwy 101 and Hwy 1. 101 is just fine for all sizes of RVs. Hwy 1 is more twisty with big drop-offs.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful road, drove it in a 38ft MH with toad without a problem. Personally, the only part of highway 1 which must be avoided with a large vehicle is Big Sur area between Carmel and Morro Bay. I have not had any problem with any part of the 101. Sure, there are some turns in Carmel, and near San Francisco, but nothing to be concerned about. My favorite campground in the Olympic Peninsula area is Rest-A-While. Not much of a campground but a spectacular view in a quiet restful area.

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also believe the "horror" stories refer to #1 in California. Do Not take your RV there.
Currently in Newport OR. Started on 101 in Olympia and took 101 north to, and around the Olympic Peninsula, through Ilwaco WA and on south thru' OR to this point. Road is in great condition so far. Most of the "broken pavement" has been repaired. You will have no problems, other than slow driving and lots of traffic - especially on weekend with the current temps on the east side of the Coast Ranges in or close to triple digits driving residents to the coast for the cooler temps.

Good driving and enjoy a great road!
John

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
We have done the OR Coast during season without reservations several times. Most of the St Parks have some sites that are non reserve, a few are all reservation and a few no reservation. Fri and Sat wre difficult but during the week if your willing to stop mid afternoon you can generally get in. There are lots of other campgrounds as a back up. Slow going through towns.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Must be talking to some wimpy folks just made the drive the entire was North to South in our 37 ft motor home pulling the Jeep and all is fine. Maybe the horrors talked about were on HW 1 south of Oregon. We drove a lot of HW 1 in California in the Jeep and no way did I want to drive it in the motor home
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Winterwolf227
Explorer
Explorer
You will be fine, take some time. Oregon State Parks are fantastic, and highly recommend those parks. Many have spacious sites and lots of programming for kids. Some highlight parks right along hwy 101:

Newport Area- Beverly Beach State Park
Lincoln City-Devils Lake State Park
Tillamook (The Cheese Place) Cape Lookout State Park
Cannon Beach RV Resort (Only non State Park, but is an amazing park in Cannon Beach

And the top dog, Fort Stevens State Park in Astoria, Oregon....the end of the Lewis and Clark expedition and a former Military base that was the only place in the Continental US that was attacked during WW2 by Japan. There is a lot to do in the Astoria Are, plans more than a few days !!

Enjoy, we love out "BackYard" on the Oregon Coast.
Kb,Lori,Abby and Doberman Rosie and Boxer Boaz
Portland, OR
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 Cummins, 48RE, Firestone RideRite Air Bags

2016 Creekside 23DBS
Past -
2014 Komfort Trailblazer 2610BH
2005 Starcraft Hybrid

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
hwy 101 has it's rough spots. Broken pavement and such.
It follows the ocean... it has cliffs and it has low spots.
The views are worth it.

Here's a way to keep up with the construction... and there will always be construction. Just take it slow. You can't hurry on this road.

Oregon Trip check
Kathy

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
US101 is a major north south highway traveled by every sort of vehicle daily. Is it busy during the summer? Yup it is going to be busy. Especially the northern portion. Once you get south of Newport traffic thins considerably but can still be slow through any towns. Dont worry about what you might have read on the internet. But do plan on no more that 50 to 75 miles between stops and then park for a day or two to explore and see the sites. Without reservations it is going to be really tough finding camping along the coast this time of year in the state parks, but you might find some private parks to get into.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Been up and down 101 in both Oregon and Washington. No problems. The part of 101 that concerns RVers in in California.

Just watch the speed limits in the many small towns. There's a lot of foot traffic, bicycles, pedestrians, logging trucks, and vehicles. But a very beautiful trip. Enjoy.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.