cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overnighting/New York Thruway

mainetom
Explorer
Explorer
Of the several service and rest areas on the southbound side of the New York Thruway/I-87 between Albany and NYC, I'd like opinions on the best bet for overnighting. I'm especially interested in security and noise and smell from idiling big rigs. Thanks.
Live every day.

'04 Sunline 2753
'04 F-350 V-10 CrewCab, XLT, 4X4, Prodigy
Me: Tom
Program Director: Florence
Company: black cat that walks on a leash
3 REPLIES 3

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
mainetom wrote:
Of the several service and rest areas on the southbound side of the New York Thruway/I-87 between Albany and NYC, I'd like opinions on the best bet for overnighting. I'm especially interested in security and noise and smell from idiling big rigs. Thanks.

To my knowledge trucks cannot idle more than 5 minutes, so that should not be a problem.

Here is a link that discusses that concern. Idling Trucks
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

SuperDutyFiver
Explorer
Explorer
Most are busy until late at night-but even the one down by Sloatsburg quiets down after midnight and as long as you separate yourself from an idling truck you should be ok-and I agree that security is good-much better than your average interstate rest area.
36' Carriage Carri-Lite 35rl3
PSD 4x4 Custom Tow Vehicle-the 550
PSD 4X4 2017 CC short box
PSD 4x4 SUV-the X

palehorse89
Explorer
Explorer
All there is are the travel plazas , they are very nice and have free Wi-Fi also, find a spot away from the trucks if you can or else you will have to pay and get off the through-way and find somewhere to stay. I do not stay in rest areas or truck stops but I have stayed in these plaza's before with no problems with noise if you find the right spot. Security is all around in them, day and night plus NY State police in and out.
2000 MADP 4060 MOUNTAIN AIRE
350HP ISC, 2011 JK SAHARA,2006 ULTRA CLASSIC,1989 FXSTS