cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pigeon Forge to Cherokee via US 411/I-40

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a trip to the Smokies in a few weeks and was wondering how US 411 is from Sevierville, TN to I-40. We are taking I-40 around the mountains to US 23. We have heard to avoid Maggie Valley US 19.

We are traveling in a 32 ft Class C with toad.

Thanks for advice.
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C
7 REPLIES 7

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Taking 66 out of PF will put you on 40 at 407 while taking 411 over to 40 will put you on at 432. There is no issue with taking 411 over in your C. IF, and its a BIG IF, you think you can handle the grades going over the mountain through Newfound Gap then that is the shortest way to go and the traffic is not terrible really. There are many pullouts if things start getting backed up behind you. The grades are steep and you must use your tranny and gearing to keep things slow and not burn up your brakes.

If you take 40 to Cherokee get off at exit 20, RT. 276, and hook up with 19 from that, its a good road.

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice and help, thanks Ulvik, I will look at the route that way. I may check the mileage and use Hwy 66 out of Pigeon Forge when we move to Cherokee. The mapping program chose 411 (CoPilot). I am still trying to find a mapping program to use on my computer.

We still haven't decided which part of the trip to do first, Cherokee or Pigeon Forge. We have traveled to Cherokee many times using US 23 from Atlanta through Sylva to Cherokee and we have used US64 through Murphy. So all of those roads are familiar to us. We haven't been around the Knoxville area in years. We went to Sevierville awhile back, but headed North to West Virginia.

We realize going through the mountains is the shortest direction, but we also know it is heavily traveled and can be very crowded. The deciding factor may be the day of the week we are moving, I would certainly avoid the park on the weekend.

I know we are doubling our mileage, but we are not in a hurry and thinking I-40 would be our easiest route. We would exit I-40 either at US 19 (Maggie Valley) or continue towards Waynesville and exit to US 23/74 towards Sylva. I may deftly consider Maggie Valley US 19, I know my Dad has driven it many times and doesn't seem to think it is a problem.

My concern is our inexperience driving this rig in the mountains. We have only had this rig 1 year and the only trip in the mountains was to Cherokee in August for the eclipse. We are still learning how our rig handles grades and of course braking. We definitely miss our Chevrolet Diesel truck when it comes to braking and driving in the mountains. We moved from a 35' 5ver and 3500 diesel truck to this Class C 450 truck last year.
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The specific route you ask about, 411 to I-40 from Sevierville is fine for your 32 ft. C. There is a few mile portion of road that has a couple of turns and hills but nothing hair raising serious. You will go right by the Bush's Bean factory, a big white building, and their café/museum/general store. Its a great attraction if you are inclined to stop. Good food and a cute store. The road east after that is the old road for about a mile or 2 and is 2 lane and curvy and slight hills but will open up to the new road which is 2 lane divided and nice. Stay in the right lane as you will be turning right to get to I-40 and is within a mile.

I have to caution you on taking 441 through the national park. It is very steep grades and there is not a straight patch of road all the way through the park. Every time I go through there I see RV's who have over heated or even burned up their brakes. If you have not done much mountain driving I would advise you to avoid taking 411.

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
You did not say if you are going north or south on US 23. Last spring we took US 441 thru the park in our 26 ft class C. Did not have the the Toad at the time. Use a lower gear and you will be fine. At Cherokee stay on 441 to US 74 over to Dillsboro to hit US 23. We took that route to north Georgia. Between Cherokee and Maggie Valley on US 19, you go thru Soco Gap which has some grade. The Cherokee side has a few curves and the Maggie Valley side is straighter. Again use a lower gear and you should be fine. If you do take US 411 from Sevierville to Newport to pickup I40, be sure to stop at the Bush Bean Factory Store in Chestnut Hill. Great little museum and restaurant. You can have your picture taken with Duke.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest way from Pigeon Forge to Cherokee is to take 441 thru the Park. Take the bypass around Gatinburg. The grade up to Newfound Gag is not all that bad. If in doubt towing, drive separate to to the parking area at Newfound Gap and connect there. Downhill to Cherokee. Be sure to stop at the Visitors Center on the NC side. You may chance see an Elk.

If you insist, 411 to I-40 is not all that bad. I-40 is a scenic route. Just stay in the right truck lane. I doubt that you will be doing any passing.

Also, I don't know who told you to avoid Maggie Valley. US 19 is a great route from I-40 to Cherokee. Granted, it can get busy. But heck, you are in a major tourist area.

How are you getting to Pigeon Forge??
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
441 is not a road to make time on but is a nice road to take your time on. I don't believe there are any heights a class c would have trouble with, it gets a lot of camper traffic.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
I used to live in Covington LA before moving to Sevierville TN. The easiest way if you are heading towards the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area is to stay on I-40 and get off on exit 407 and head south on Hwy 66 through Sevierville. That is by far the fastest and easiest way to go. Traffic through Knoxville isn't bad at all but you may hit traffic once you get on Hwy 66 especially if it is on a Friday especially. Also heavy traffic during tourist time in mornings and mid day but clears up after around 4pm. It gets packed with weekend tourists during that time. I have tried just about every route from there to here and this by far is the easiest and fastest. But to go from Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg to Cherokee I am a little lost on the route you are speaking. Are you referring to going through the park on Hwy 441? Which isn't that bad as long as you take your time and enjoy the park along the way. Just check your height restrictions for bridges of course. Hwy 411 to I40 is a really long way around and will still take you through Maggie Valley to get to Cherokee.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains